My modded KH3 vid

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RADE01

Reaction score
I modded this the other day and love the results!
Before this it didn't have the goodness that all of my other modded modules have. Now it really seems like what it's supposed to be. But it can do much more than just Metallica, cleans up better than most high gainers too, not that I demo that.
Couldn't turn up tonight so it's quite low volume.
Hope you like it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojq3A7lyDEo

It sounds so much more natural than original. Now the youtube compress the sound alot, but it seems so much more live :) Great work

I like it....but I like the stock KH3 quite a lot anyway....either your playing or the changes, seems less dry than the original?

Thanks,
Exactly JKD, I was finding it too dry and hard. Now it's warm and juicy.

There's changes to bass, mids and some overall changes that together give it a bit more sizzle. :D

I'd be interested in what components you switched if you're willing to share. I like my KH-3 but after listening to mods like the Angel, I feel it could be tighter and more defined.

RomanMtz said:
I'd be interested in what components you switched if you're willing to share. I like my KH-3 but after listening to mods like the Angel, I feel it could be tighter and more defined.

If you are willing to share what you did that would be awesome! :D

Another keen DIY here wanting to know what you actually did in the module to achieve this tight sound.

Anything you could share with us???

Hey folks, glad you like it. Yeah I guess I could share the component changes so you can try it. I used a few Sprague Orange Drops in there. The bass is tighter thanks to the usual C3 being changed to a .001 uF. I can't remember what was in C3, but now it's a 716P 600V 102J.
C8 and C9 are 225P 400V 223K's, C16 and C17 are 225P 400V 333K's. I also changed the resistors in R20 and R22 to 100K carbon composition resistors which also improved the clarity and gave it a more aggressive tone. I could've tried more of these resistor swaps but I liked the tone like this so stopped messing with it.
My RM100 has been broken for almost a year now so I haven't heard or played it in a while.

Yeah thanks heaps mate.

My KH3 should arrive any day now and I am also tempted to just mod it before I even play through it, but I wont.

Question: Is there that much difference between capacitor brand and colors? I bought a bag of mixed value caps from Jaycar. They are orange, but just small round ones. Not like the normal ones I have seen pics of people swapping C3 for? Would these be suitable for the cap changes here.

cheers

Yeah mate the brands do make a difference. Even Sprague Orange Drop 715p &716p sound different. So if you did all of the changes I did but with other brand components it could sound drastically different to mine.
I went to Jaycar once too but decided to order the brand name components online.

Their range was a bit disappointing.

Thanks man.

I'll do that and get the ones you got, then I suppose I could always mess around with the other caps one by one and see what change it makes to the tone.