My past band's sound...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarcomet

Reaction score
I quit the last cover band I was in (Due East) because I was treated like I didn't do my job good enough.
Oh sure, I was more than good enough when I joined, in fact I was the best musician they ever had.
I helped turn the band from a mediocre Blues/Country/Rock band into the most popular Classic rock cover band in the area.
I made the slack players quit by changing the song list to more classic rock. (they prefered Country)
I also personally recruited a replacement player to insure the talent level.
I owned the P.A., lights and the enclosed trailer and hauled everything with very little extra cash thrown my way for gas ($50 a year?). I was also the soundman and was anointed every technical troubleshooting task.
I ran the Myspace page along with any and all computer related things (burning demo CDs, making posters, cards, printing out words for the singer, etc.)
The straw that broke the camel's back was the drummer. He got on my case relentlessly and I was his "whipping boy" that he liked to belittle and blame things on.
A friend went to see the band after I was replaced. They said the band sounded more "hard rock" than they use to sound. The bass player (still on speaking terms) told me the song list was the same. I knew something had changed but didn't know what it was.
I found out my replacement on guitar is playing through a Mesa Dual Rectifier :lol: ! No wonder it sounds more like hard rock. :roll:
I guess some people like it more, but I certainly wouldn't.
Well, that's my post, hope you enjoied it!

SOrry to hear that, But rest assure, you'll be presented with another band soon enough. Bands come and go...........Good luck!!!!! :wink:

Wow, that sounds like most of the bands I've been in. Singers show up 5 minutes before the show...drummer and bassist play their instrument and that's all...and the guitarist does EVERYTHING else.

gweb said:
Wow, that sounds like most of the bands I've been in. Singers show up 5 minutes before the show...drummer and bassist play their instrument and that's all...and the guitarist does EVERYTHING else.

Honestly, I think that's just the way it is.
It's always been some variation on this theme.
I know one singer that had a P.A. and trailer, but turnover was VERY HIGH in his bands..... I said "HIS" bands. (you get it)

I play guitar..and everything else in the band I joined. Decent people, to be sure...but not as serious as I.
More than happy to see me really work my *** off to make this thing sound good...but thank yous are rare..and despite the whole thing sounding better since I joined...its "their success".
Sorry but ,like you, I can show an itemized list of what I did that they WOULDNT do.
its really aggrevating..and why I keep a solo career. My Cd comes out soon and its all mine, thank you.
I did it while waiting for these guys to play at a reasonable volume in the stage area (lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

GtrGeorge! said:
to play at a reasonable volume in the stage area (lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I HEARD that! :lol:

I haven't had a volume war since 1993 (I won that one, BTW).

It sucks when people refuse to turn down. Like equal volume is a sign of weakness...LOL

GtrGeorge! said:
Decent people, to be sure...but not as serious as I.
More than happy to see me really work my *** off to make this thing sound good...but thank yous are rare..and despite the whole thing sounding better since I joined...its "their success".

I just wanted to point out that this was VERY MUCH the case in Due East.
The P.A. they were using was crap. Not just that, but check this out.
The guitar player I was replacing (we'll call him Bob) had gone on a Crack binge.
Several members of the band had put money into a band fund ($600) to buy some P.A. gear that Bob was suppose to use to pay the music store payments on the P.A. (the store foolishly let them use the stuff while paying for it).
Bob disappeared for several weeks (they didn't gig weekly back then...the band kinda sucked) and the grapevine told them he had spent the band fund on Crack. Bob hasn't been seen by the band since. He did call trying to lay claim to some P.A. items. :lol:
The music store was left holding the bag because the members with interest in the P.A felt they had paid their fair share and decided to keep the equipment. The line of credit at the music store was Bob's so he was the one responsible. (Bob never paid them)
The band should have gone to the music store to "settle up" with them, but instead...did nothing. (warning flag)
Even more telling of the type of people they are....
Once the original members split, Charlie & Terry took these unpaid for items with them. (they had the most $$ invested)
Donna raised cane once she found out. She only had $100 invested in the $1200 purchase, yet you'd think she owned it all by how she acted :lol:
Donna then spitefully informed the music store of who had possesion of the equipment, even though two weeks before she was just as guilty of witholding payment for the stuff. (warning flag)
The equipment remains unpaid to this day.
What did they have for P.A. :?: get this...

1 - Peavey 1200 watt power amp (used from the music store)
2 - Fender 15"X horn, 250w speakers (never paid for) terrible speakers!
2 - home made 12"X horn monitors (Radio Shack? How many watts?) worse than terrible!
1 - Fender 6 channel 300w powered mixer (used for monitors only)
1 - 30 year old Audio Centron 12 channel mixing board (scratchy faders with no effects)
1 - Kustom 10"Xhorn 100w monitor (blown after hooking it to my system at the drummer's insistance)
(did you notice, no EQ or effects units?)

Once I insisted we use my stuff, and they got an ear full of my system (and how I run things)...they began listening to my advise.

My system?
1 - Electro Voice PSX-2000 12 channel, 570w per ch. powered mixer with 2 seperate 24 bit effects and extensive EQing (made by Dyna-Cord)
2 - Peavey Impulse 500 15"X horn, 400w speakers (FOH)
2 - JBL M Pro 15"X horn, 330w monitors
1 - Crown Micro Tech 1200 power amp
2 - Electro Voice 1-18" EVX 1000w subs

There were a few other items we used that were mine, too...but who's counting, right? :lol:
I also had a lighting system (something they never had)

So...were these decent people? :?