My RM100 makes a cyclic 'tock' sound sometimes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awake77

Reaction score
Occasionally, my RM100 will start making this 'tock...tock...tock...tock' sound, which I can usually kill by cycling the power switch. It mostly seems to happen after coming out of standby. Doesnt matter what module is selected, and this happens with or without a guitar plugged in.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
A77

is the sound coming from the speaker or from inside the head? speaker might be a cap charging and releasing, or from the head, a tube or component getting ready to fail. More description might "spark" a better answer. (sorry)

Jimmie

Thanks for the reply bewitagos1! It's coming through the speaker cab, no noise is coming from inside the head at all - other than the whir of the cooling fan.

Hope that helps narrow it down!

Every once in a while I get a very low tick tick tick but can usually make it stop by changing patches on my G-System. Never did figure out what it is but if it helps I have an RM4 and not a head.
It's rare but very noticeable. I just assumed I had a faulty cable or some other fluke.

droptrd said:
It could be a leaky cap.

How would I go about checking that?

Sampson said:
Every once in a while I get a very low tick tick tick but can usually make it stop by changing patches on my G-System. Never did figure out what it is but if it helps I have an RM4 and not a head.
It's rare but very noticeable. I just assumed I had a faulty cable or some other fluke.

Does it have a low pitch to it? Almost like a 'pop' sound? Ill try to make a recording of it tonight if it comes up...

Awake77 said:
droptrd said:
It could be a leaky cap.

How would I go about checking that?

This is where the Robot from Lost In Space comes out waving its arms "DANGER WILL ROBINSON - DANGER"

Caps act like batteries, some carrying leathal amounts of voltage. Your question disqualifies you for the DIY crowd. Find an amp repair technician who is adequately qualified to work on high voltage circuits. randall should have a list of someone in your area or maybe someone here will chime in to assist.

Jimmie

Mine does the same thing, have to get it in service soon, it's really annoying especially when turning it on.