need help on finding good tone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Servantez

Reaction score
currently I am using rm100 head with 212 v30 speaker. My modules are two xtc and blackface. I find that the sound is kind of tinny and compress. My question would be how can I thicken the sound and make it less organic. Also I am use el34s biased at 40ma. I want mod my modules but I live in vancouver canada so is pretty hard to find anyone to mod it.

PLZ give me some suggestion

I'm on the exact same boat as you. I'm also running almost the same set up. I find the JJ 34L are really good for power tubes, but apparently, the KT88 will give you more bottom and bigger sound. The Tung Sol 5881 are getting rave reviews from here if you're after more of a 6L6 /EL34 combination.
what are you running for preamp tubes? I've been experimenting with various combination. I find that the JJ ECC 83 S (12AX7) work the best for getting a nice consistent, clear mids and highs. I had EH and Sovteks in there, they just suked the life out of the tone, too fuzzy. If you want clean, the Tung Sol 12AX7 are the best for a full response and clarity. I got the Tung Sol in my Deluxe module right now, they're much better than the EH, way more tone as far as dynamic goes.
The XTC is good, but it's lacking in the bottom end. there's a bass mod you can do, but like you, I haven't got a chance to get someone to do it for me yet, since I'm electronically illiterate :oops: So going to KT88 or TS 5881 might do the trick for you.
I'm hoping to learn how to bias the amp myself too, because it does contribute huge to the overall outcome of the tone.
Tung

I can not believe how much better the RM100 sounds with the 6L6s as compared to the EL34. JJs are awesome tubes and I am inspired enough to experimant with maybe some mullard tubes or some other boutique 6L6s.

The recto has more bite (esp with a bass mod), Plexi is fuller with a wider pallate, and of course the Blackface is cleaner like a true twin.

PH

Try to start the XTC with everything at noon. The tone controls on the XTC are very interactive - ie they effect each other, kind of like a Boogie. Also don't make drastic changes moving the knobs just a little on that module will yield good results.

You don't need to crank the gain much on that module either.