New to Randall army...help with RG100HB?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ungarn

Reaction score
I have just joined the ?Randall Army? with a halfstack found on craigslist. I think that I did OK for $250?here is what I now have:

Head: RG100HB
The board inside is labeled ?Randall RG80 Amp? with serial number B3234 9637.
Cab: RA412JB (4x12 Jaguar speakers)

I have had very little luck finding info on this exact amp, and am ignorant regarding Randall?s in general. Here are a few questions that I have (posted on a few forums):

The serial numbers for both start with ?97? does this mean that they are 1997 vintage?

Where can I find a manual online for the head/amp?

Are there schematics available?

Are there any MODS available to improve the tone, touch response, crunch, etc.? I have modified pedals and such and am handy enough with a soldering iron. It is loud as hell but not as gainy as I thought it would be. Guess that it is like a solid state JCM800.

What footswitch do I use? There are two separate jacks on the back, one labeled ?Channel Footswitch? and another ?Kicker Footswitch??

Can a Dr. Z Airbrake be safely used with this head for home use? My Wife and Kids do not really appreciate my newfound VOLUME!

How can I make it sound better? I have read some threads regarding boosting to improve the gain/distortion. Is this done with the clean channel 1, dirty channel 2, or both? I have some overdrive and distortion pedals available but would appreciate some tips!

What is the deal regarding EQ?s? Other threads indicate Furman Parametric, or MXR 6-band?is this done in front of the amp or in the effects loop?

Last but not least?sample control settings would be most appreciated!

Sorry to ramble on, just excited about my new gear.

Best regards and thanks in advance!

-Thad

100_2270.jpg

100_2271.jpg

100_2273.jpg

100_2274.jpg

Just got word from Eminence that the speakers are indeed 8 ohm OEM made for Randall...regardless if the sticker says 4 ohm!

-Thad

I have the same amp, except mine is white (with 2 thick blue ribbons I painted, like a ford mustang) and have celestions. I use a an addverb III in the efffects loop, there I put different effects (distortions, eqs, choruses, etc, etc) in many configurations (parallel, serie, one before another, etc). I conect my guitar in the HI input, if you use an effect or something extra between your guitar and the amp, use the LO input.

the kicker footswitch is only for rise the gain in 6db, I have never used it, I don't find it useful. As i use a multifx, I eq it flat, with no reverb (the amp one).

It is a very good amp, with a lot of pooooower. If you wanna sound like pantera, buy those parametric eqs and wha and other gear.