New to the universe

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooch

Reaction score
Just purchased my first RM4 off of ebay, due to arrive at my doorstep friday, along with the the following modules:

Blackface-
Top-Boost-
Plexi-
Recto-

it's pretty easy for me to guess what stock modules sound like based on description, but I would love some input on the wide world of modded modules out there. I definitely dig the 5150 tone, people have been nice enough to point me in the S1S0 or Ultra XL direction. How about a mid-90's style rock tone, ala Weezer, Third Eye Blind, etc? Any pointers or modules I should start with?

Thanks!

For those Kevin Cadogan tones either the Plexi or Top Boost with a boost pedal will certainly get you there. Looks like he used a lot of Marshall SLPs and AC-30s in the studio. check this WIKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Cadogan#Gear

Mattfig said:
Hello and welcome! If you really want to hit the Marshall tones you seek, I'd suggest a Mashall or Mashall+...VERY versatile and all good...
I second this, the Jose channel gets you those boosted Marshall tones.
I'd definitly check out the Mash-all+, so you can get the most out of it! :D
It has a voicing switch to go between a JCM and JTM eq setup.
And actually.. a lot of people (including me) love the JTM voicing with the higher gain mode!

On the 5150, yes there's the UXL, which has a 5150-ish tone.
If you want to get closer and higher grade (and more versatile), check out the Salvation Mods S1S0!

Mikal69 says Kevin Cadogan uses an AC30 next to his SLP's.
Those tones could be had with the Top Boost, Super V or Salvation Mods MatchVox.

The Top Boost is supposed to have more gain, I like it very much for those snappy crunch tones.
Super V has less gain and slightly different tone (better according to a lot of people).
The MatchVox has the classic Vox and Matchless tones, with some goodies like Brian May style boost, authentic EQ setup (low, high, cut)

Fig, could you provide more insight into the Vox mods?
Since you've owned at least the Top Boost and Matchvox (I can imagine you might have owned the Super V as well in your module arsenal of doom! haha)

m0jo said:
Fig, could you provide more insight into the Vox mods?
Since you've owned at least the Top Boost and Matchvox (I can imagine you might have owned the Super V as well in your module arsenal of doom! haha)

Why yes I could....Top Boost has some bite and sounds like a tad more aggressive AC30 than I've heard...I modded mine to have less gain and more clarity...The Super V is VERY chimey...Has an almost acoustic type tone...It's quite unique and while I wasn't too into it, lotsa folks are....Finally, Matchvox does it all and then some...It covers Top boost, Super V, and Matchless tones...The Vox tones are great and you can go from a nice light crunch to pretty thick mid-gain crunch...It goes above and beyond on all levels...

Hey spooch,
I'm also new to the Universe. My conversion also took place this month (November). I currently have an RM20 combo, SL PLUS, Mr. Scary and waiting on a Deluxe module and a LOADED RM50 with a Blackface & Plexi wrapped up in Creme Palomino/Tweed grill with cover & footswitch !!

This will give me 2 combos & 5 (stock) modules... ALL used.. not a bad score in one month. Now I'm broke.. :cry:

MindCrime

alright, received my rm4, gotta a chance to play around a little, but patiently waiting for the in-laws to leave tomorrow so I can crank it up. Here are the modules I got (mods as described by the ebay auction I won:

Blackface- stock

Top-Boost- Switch added above bright switch which allows for stock gain or less gain.

Plexi- stock

Recto- Input capacitor changed to tighten up low end.

So far I am not really digging the recto, but I never have been a fan of the mesa tone, probably going to trade that one in. The Plexi and Top Boost I am really diggin', even with the "less gain" switch on the top boost, I agree with the previous post that it sounds waayy crunchier than any ac-30 i've heard. Both that and the plexi seem to have a lot of versatility, I am definitely going to play around with both of them. Blackface I am sorta indifferent to, never been completely blown away by the super-sparkly fender twin cleans.

I am definitely going to be checking out some of these mod pages now.

The Mash-All+ rocks. There aren't words to describe it.

Mikal69 said:
yup. and by most accounts the Mashall is probably one of Salvation's masterpieces.

question to those who know concerning the sl+l, seems like later models have a jcm 800 mod according to some posts i've read? is this the case? if so, how can you tell the difference?

That is correct. Any 2008 & later SL+ would have the JCM800 mods stock from Randall. Prior models may have been modded & likely would have some designation from Gigmods or another modder unless someone did a home job. Somewhere in here I read the mods that could be done to the silver/chrome faceplate SL+s to get the 800. I think it can be found on grailtone.com

Ok I lied. Some mods are listed on Grail Tone, but not for the JCM800 mod.

there are quite a few topics on here about that mod. use the search function and you should be able to find most answers.

I found this in the SL+ thread.

Originally posted by Sacred Groove
To check if it is or isn't the newer version:
Look at the module from the top and locate R25 and C14. They're really close to each other.
The original values are 56k, green-blue-orange bands (R25) and 250pF (C14)
Jcm800 values are 33k, orange-orange-orange bands (R25) and 470pF (C14)

Also, C3 is the "bass cap" and the most popular values are 1000pF (.001) and 1500pF (.0015).

EDIT: Changed R31 to R25.

Hope that helps.

very helpful, this is the next module i am going to attempt to acquire, helps knowing what to look for since I am a noob.