Newbie has RM50 + two modules. What (which) next?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrxplayer

Reaction score
I'm new to modules. Just got an RM50. Came w/ a Deluxe module and I just got an SL+ on ebay.

I can be as gear addictive as the next guy but am working to keep it in check

If I were to add one more module (preferably stock) to get the most out of the amp and avoid as much redundancy as possible, what would you suggest?

Depends on what you want, you have Fender Clean and Hot Marshall now.

You could either get something more heavy like a Recto, Grail.
Or you might want a lower gain Marshall like a Plexi, Brahma, Malcolm
Or you want the Vox flavour, so a Vox, VX
Or you want thick leads to go with the SL+ so you might like an EG4, Slodano, XTC of some sorts?

Many ways you could head into.

If it was me, I'd get a Plexi or a Vox for stockers.

I'd definitely recommend a mid gain type.
Brahma, Judge or Angus.
Judge doesn't clean up that well for me, has more gain than the other two, but it's one of the best mid gain sounds to be had from stock MTS. Well, that's if you like Marshalls.

RADE01 said:
I'd definitely recommend a mid gain type.
Brahma, Judge or Angus.
Judge doesn't clean up that well for me, has more gain than the other two, but it's one of the best mid gain sounds to be had from stock MTS. Well, that's if you like Marshalls.

I would agree with that. If you are looking to add a Mesa tone to the mix, I would pick up a Grail.

Ultra or Ultra XL for heavier, more modern sound then SL+.
Tweed for a nicer clean sound. It will also give a good SRV tone.
XTC is a very different flavor then the SL+, but they have similar output gain.
For Vox tones get a Super V, not a Top Boost.
Put an Electro Harmonix 12AY7 in V1 of any clean module you get. Including the Deluxe you already have. This will lower the gain and really clean up the sound.
Also, the SL+ sounds much better with EL-34s in the amp. All of the other modules I've mentioned sound good with either 6L6 or EL-34s.

Well you got a Fender mod and a Marshall mod. I'd agree with the other guys and say a good Mesa tone is in order. I'd get a Jaded Faith MarkX. That one will really get your blood boiling. You will eventually want modded modules anyway. I just saw a MarkX go for $215!!! Crazy deals are happening. Or get that SL+ modded into something wicked. Take your pick. There are a hundred different flavors.
:twisted: :shock: :twisted:

I'm also new to MTS stuff. There are so many possibilities with this gear it can really become overwhelming.

So far: Deluxe, XTC and JF Plexi

Saving up to have Rob at JF to do his magic on the XTC although it may be a little redundant with the modded Plexi alredy. I'm going to see what a lower gain preamp tube will do for the Deluxe before I go crazy with it. I just need a basic clean there. A little chime would be nice.