not happy with treadplate module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GtrGeorge! said:
Well obviously The AC/DC tones are pretty low gain..and especially considering that people in this forum (most) love distorting an amp by send a signal thru a distortion box first.
..oh and dont forget to crank the power amp for power amp distortion, and use low wattage speakers to get speaker distortion!!!! And when you record it, push the gain on the channel for a little more distortion (!!!)
YIKES!!!
When most people use an OD box for a boost, they use it to drive the front end of the amp a little harder. Cranking the output of the pedal and turning the gain all the way down on the pedal. That means there is no "distortion added". Just a bigger, hotter signal that makes the preamp distort more. Very Nice.

For tight metal tones, i like higher wattage speakers intead of the lower rated ones. very tight and punchy.

GtrGeorge! said:
Well obviously The AC/DC tones are pretty low gain..and especially considering that people in this forum (most) love distorting an amp by send a signal thru a distortion box first.
..oh and dont forget to crank the power amp for power amp distortion, and use low wattage speakers to get speaker distortion!!!! And when you record it, push the gain on the channel for a little more distortion (!!!)
YIKES!!!
I am with droptrd here George. I use a SD-1 that I modded for 90% of my playing and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with adding Distortion. It is about articulation and tone shaping in my application. I run my level wide open, gain all the way down and tone between 11-1:00. When it's engaged, it sculpts the EQ curve in a pleasant way and adds articulation and response. It is just enough push to the front to make my Tweed (clean channel) bark a bit when it's on. I bypass it for pristine cleans.

I run my master volume between 9:30 and 11:00 and my speakers are Celestion Neo's (high wattage), so there is neither power amp or speaker distortion going on (I strongly dislike both actually).

I get a HUGE range of tones from just a trio of modules this way and anyone that's seen or heard my rig will testify. It often gets many the compliment as one of the best rigs people have heard, either from other guitarists or sound men. I have many shades and colors of tones available with this setup.

All I am trying to say is just because someone uses a specific piece of gear, you have to see HOW they apply it before assuming.

droptrd said:
GtrGeorge! said:
YIKES!!!
When most people use an OD box for a boost, they use it to drive the front end of the amp a little harder. Cranking the output of the pedal and turning the gain all the way down on the pedal. That means there is no "distortion added". Just a bigger, hotter signal that makes the preamp distort more. Very Nice.

For tight metal tones, i like higher wattage speakers intead of the lower rated ones. very tight and punchy.
+1000000 on the clean boost!
Adds Dynamics to the tone with more articulation.
I play mostly metal and hard rock and it works nicely. 8)

maximus1 said:
someone sounds like a high gain hater :wink:

Dunno man...when people are claiming they can't get enough gain out of a Grail and an OD...ya gots to wonder if their hearing is compromised :D

The Grail has plenty of gain, but for some things the module is just too tight -- like a Mesa. I prefer more of a SLO sound.

so , you guys ,what is your suggestion in the the best high gain module for rhythm metal sound?
grail , UXL ?
where i am , i don't have access in testing them , or changing tubes.
so it is just buying them and feel lucky :)

depends on what you like- Mesa Recto vs. that ultra gained up modern Death Metal tone- though the XL should have plenty of mids to make it more versatile

Sorry, you'll need both!

andrianosd said:
so , you guys ,what is your suggestion in the the best high gain module for rhythm metal sound?
grail , UXL ?
so it is just buying them and feel lucky :)

I liked the Kh3 and the mr scary even more for that (stock).
Downtuned to H (B)

andrianosd said:
grail , UXL ?
so it is just buying them and feel lucky :)[/quote.

Don't mess with anything else and get the UltraXL. I have played all the so-called high gain modules and none even come close to the UltraXl.

When I played the KH3 I was very unimpressed with all the Kirk modules. The UltraXL rules till the Ultra Curve eventually comes out after NAMM. Mike Amott from Arch Enemy uses the UltraXL for both his lead and rythem live sound. That should be enough to know the gain rips in either lead or rythem. He tells you in a little Randall video on the Tandall YouTube page.

Well I'd agree with being disappointed. The KH-1 is nice in that it doesn't breakup (ever) but the bright switch is to tinny for me. I have a Blackface and like it better but its really the same. I bought the RMKH thinking, bye bye pedals and I just wasn't blown away so thats way Im trying to buy the best mod which sounds like its the XL. So what can we expect from the curve?

Balou said:
Well I'd agree with being disappointed. The KH-1 is nice in that it doesn't breakup (ever) but the bright switch is to tinny for me. I have a Blackface and like it better but its really the same. I bought the RMKH thinking, bye bye pedals and I just wasn't blown away so thats way Im trying to buy the best mod which sounds like its the XL. So what can we expect from the curve?

it's basically Gain with a Gain Boost and a graphic eq and nothing else. From what it looks like it is like the old Dimebag Warhead in a module. Some may say a Mesa mark V but I'm going with the Warhead since it is a Randall. I just hope it's like the UltraXL in the gain department. The 1086 had gain with gain boost switch and it still was lacking in the gain department. Let's go WARHEAD!!!