Pedalboard lay-out for MTS rack

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimix

Reaction score
Just got a MIDI controlled loop switcher off the forum here and decided it was time to build a pedalboard to control my MTS rack. Here's a pic of the lay-out I ended up with after a morning of pedal Tetris.

photo-15_zpse4f3caa4.jpg

Decided to leave the MIDI controller off the board to keep it reasonably sized and since it doesn't pass audio.

photo-16_zps12d67f9d.jpg

Next comes the cable cutting and velcro to get it all wired cleanly. Here's the MTS rack it's going to be switching...

photo-17_zps04aaec63.jpg

photo-15_zps0dfa4582.jpg

VitaminG said:
cool! How is everything being routed? Between the FS3X, Patchmate, two expression pedals & the Rockman, what's controlling what?

The Rockman sends MIDI pgm changes to the Patchmate and the RM4. So if you select pgm 7 on the Rockman, the Patchmate can be programmed by just selecting your loops and hitting store, then the RM4 is programmed by just selecting a module and holding the channel button in.
Pretty straight forward.

The FS3X plugs into the side of the Digitech EX-7 Expression Factory, so I can step up or down thru the Crybaby/Clyde McCoy/Space Station/Whammy/Univibe/Leslie/ADA Flanger models, as well as add the Distortion Factory models in with a button push.
Awesome crazy pedal.

After the RM4, the G3 handles modulation/delay/reverb/noise gate/eq etc. It steps up and down thru presets and the Roland expression pedal is assigned to one parameter per patch. The G3 also handles looper duty as it's last in the chain.

I've got the guitar wired with a stereo plug, so normally everything feeds the 5-way selector/vol/tone, but if you throw a mini switch, the bridge pick-up feeds the ring send, bypassing the controls. The pick-ups are Duncan Hot Rails in neck and middle, and a P-Rail in a Triple Shot ring at the bridge. The Hot Rails can be split using pull vol and tone pots, so the tip send can be:

neck humbucker
neck single coil
middle humbucker
middle single coil
or any neck/middle combination.

The ring send can be:

bridge single coil
bridge series humbucker
bridge parallel humbucker
bridge P-90

The Ibanez volume pedal actually serves as a volume for the humbucker when running stereo out of the guitar. I'm using the first loop to select between the neck/middle tip output and the bridge ring output via the volume pedal.
Putting the Patchmate's buffer in the second loop, the Rat in the 3rd, the Expression Factory in the 4th, the Fish & Chips EQ in the 5th, the RM4 in the 6th, and the G3 in the 7th. Think the 8th switch will be used to flip between Simul-Class and Class A on the Boogie power amp.

Gotten some crazy variety out of the set-up so far!

wow, man. That is elaborate and very cool

Have you seen Premier Guitar's rig run through with Vernon Reid? Takes that kind of routing to a whole other level. He uses the G3 too ;)

Looks like it will be a fun set up! I was using the same Rockman Midiman midi controller too! I've had that thing since 89 and replaced all the switches with Carling. I've considered cutting up the PCB and rehousing it in a smaller enclosure. The picture in my classified post for the Patchmate shows my renovated Midiman. Post a picture once you get it wired.