PISSED

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymustang302

Reaction score
Well, we just got our 4 song demo, and my guitar tone absolutly blows. Way too much treble. I'm very unhappy with the way the engineer did my tone. When he miced up my amp he told me he would change it all at mastering to what i wanted.

I used the Ultra Module

We didnt have enough time to blend modules so i got a shitty end product.... oh well.

Here it at Myspace.com/over777

don't sound like too much treble, sounds like it could be thicker, could be your speakers and cab. Tone starts with the rig and playing

I have the Ultra XL, and I know it can sound great. What cab and speakers are you using?

I haven't listened yet, but when an "engineer" says something to the effect of changing it later or fix it in the mix, red flags should go up. Very little can be done to individual tracks during mastering. If you don't have your tone going to "tape", things can get ugly later in the whole process. Just a tip for for next time.

I'll go listen now...LOL.

crankyrayhanky said:
audioholic said:
Tone starts with the rig and playing

True...but if tony like the tony to start with, bad mics/tecniques, preamp, eq, and converters can kill it

right, as long as you liked your sound in your cab, I agree, though sometimes its hard to translate that tone, good gear is the start no doubt. Things can deffinetally be changed in the mix, but starting with a good tracked sound is key, so if you no likey how it sounds much before mixing, then yeah, time to change up some elements on how it was recorded.

sorry your not happy, perhaps laying down another track of guitars will really help.

Are you serious...i dont think it sounds good at all. I don't get it because when you listen in the recording room, it sounds like there was not enought treble. I gave him samples (as i lay dying who used the ultra xl to record) of what i wanted, and i matched it perfect, but it comes out like ****.

I have a mesa 4x12 with V30's.

This was a learning experience to not use that recording guy.

I've found that my "muddy guitars" get suddenly spectacular when I improve the drum sounds; this could be the case here with some low end buildup in other elements in the mix

tonymustang302 said:
Are you serious...i dont think it sounds good at all. I don't get it because when you listen in the recording room, it sounds like there was not enought treble. I gave him samples (as i lay dying who used the ultra xl to record) of what i wanted, and i matched it perfect, but it comes out like s*&t.

I have a mesa 4x12 with V30's.

This was a learning experience to not use that recording guy.

I know how you feel, everytime my band makes a new recording it sounds awesome on playback, but then I get the CD home and it doesn't sound anything like it, although in my case, it sounds like mud. And I hate the recordings, but anyone other than the band members always says it sounds awesome...

Also depends on what speakers are being used for the mixdown. Was the engineer overcompensating for a lack of high end in the speakers?
Either way, you can always put it down as a learning experience. You could maybe go back to the studio and discuss with them your disappointment in the trebbly guitar tone. Another thing I will add (but not related to tone), next time you record, you may want to record against a click track. Even if it is just for the drum tracks. This can really help to tighten things up and result in a more impressive demo.
Cheers

it wasn't to bad . many factors too consider when recording you;ll get it. i think the boost is what you're not liking, how it sounds live and recorded are quite different. sounded like a century amp i use to have boosted with a mt-2, pretty cool though 8)

maximus1 said:
it wasn't to bad . many factors too consider when recording you;ll get it. i think the boost is what you're not liking, how it sounds live and recorded are quite different. sounded like a century amp i use to have boosted with a mt-2, pretty cool though 8)

Thats the thing, i didn't boost it. When the engineer was messing with my eq :evil: I noticed there wasnt too much gain, and not much treble. BUT I REMEMBER, that, I just got the KH3 module so while the basist was recording i was in the other room a/b'ing the ultra and KH3. I forgot that i put the presence at MAX because i was at like .5 volume dicking around. Totally forgot to turn down the presence the next day when i recorded.

I'm just mad because a lot of people love my tone at gig volumes, you can hear every note, every palm mute is bassy, and it sounds awesome.....a complete 180 to what he captured.

yaeh it sounded extra compressed so i figured it was the boost but the presence knob will do that too. go back and do some more, the more layers the better , do a track with a different module on top of the one you got :idea: what do you think of the rectifier

If you're using that new Mesa for the studio, you must Crank it up to get tone...and don't let that guy tweak your knobs anymore

maximus1 said:
yaeh it sounded extra compressed so i figured it was the boost but the presence knob will do that too. go back and do some more, the more layers the better , do a track with a different module on top of the one you got :idea: what do you think of the rectifier

I havent played it yet because my lazy *** bandmates are busy, so i have to wait til tom. when we audition a new singer. It's sitting there lookin at me...waiting to be sitting on top of the mesa 4x12....I'm really scared that the randall will sit in the corner until i can afford to get another cab and use them at the same time to blend the tone

crankyrayhanky said:
If you're using that new Mesa for the studio, you must Crank it up to get tone...and don't let that guy tweak your knobs anymore

I know, I know....the next time we record, we are going to someone better..have that person in mind already.

I'm am a sound engineer here in Southern ILL.
The whole mix sounds real thin. :roll:
Sound lesson #125. You can not fix just the guitar tone when you are mastering.

I have no doubt that the original tone was good...It's Randall!
The recording guy screwed up getting it to tape or hard drive, if it sounded thin during the first play back, it was recorded that way!! that's the bad news... good news , next time you will know better.

Unfortunately I see or hear this a lot, Protools can not fix every thing...

BTW can you shoot the recording guy so he dose not do that to anyone else?
:twisted:

I'm not taking a shot at the guitar tone on your myspace, in fact I don't think it's as bad as you do....I'm just pointing out that the mts sounds pretty good at low levels, but the Mesa does not, it comes off real weak and bee buzzy- though once you open it up and crank it it should be awesome

Congrats on the new head!

get a studio that has a royer 121 and a great preamp that's over 1k per channel and it'll be hard to mess that tone up....a 57 is a studio staple, but it has to be paired with a decent pre and positioned great or it can be bad

LRStrat said:
I'm am a sound engineer here in Southern ILL.
The whole mix sounds real thin. :roll:
Sound lesson #125. You can not fix just the guitar tone when you are mastering.

I have no doubt that the original tone was good...It's Randall!
The recording guy screwed up getting it to tape or hard drive, if it sounded thin during the first play back, it was recorded that way!! that's the bad news... good news , next time you will know better.

Unfortunately I see or hear this a lot, Protools can not fix every thing...

BTW can you shoot the recording guy so he dose not do that to anyone else?
:twisted:

The sound guy at the studio my band is working with, wants us at "reasonable volumes". Even though we love the cracked tone. What's your opinion there?