Platinum 59RR barely audible ... what happened?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kudogg

Reaction score
I wanted to try some different preamp tubes, so I swapped them out and there was barely any volume. Thinking it was the tubes, I put the old ones back, and now I get barely audible volume.

I'm super bummed. The Tung Sol preamp tubes sound GLORIOUS in my JF tweed that I got from Ameer. Very open and warm.

Any suggestions on what's wrong with my module?

Hey man thanks for the reply!

What is a hot swap?

Some more info:

I always turn the amp completely off before moving any modules or anything.

The volume is consistently low, it does not fluctuate. And I tried different channel positions in the amp.

The other modules work perfectly.

I also tried flipping all the switches and turning the knobs back and forth, no change. It's like it works perfectly but the volume is super low

Yep, that's hot swapping....It was just a first thought...Does the module work in other slots? Do the other mods operate alright?

The best part is it needs a fix, Rob will be fast and more than fair....Hope it something simple...

Mattfig said:
Yep, that's hot swapping....It was just a first thought...Does the module work in other slots? Do the other mods operate alright?

The best part is it needs a fix, Rob will be fast and more than fair....Hope it something simple...

Yeah all other mods work perfectly, and I tried different positions for the 59RR, which does NOT work in other channels/positions

I had a module do this to me yesterday, actually. I just swapped tubes and it was fine... Did you try putting some different tubes in there? I think I remember Rob saying a bad gain pot will do this to a module, also

Does anything come out if you gently push on the pot?

What I do is loosen the lot around the shaft and push and pull very slightly to check for pops, etc...Be careful to not move it enough to compromise the solder joints to the PCB...

Try it with the original tubes you had in it and be sure to flip their positions if nothing happens at first. After that, check the pins in the tube socket to see if you bent any.
If nothing there helps, shoot me an email and we will get you back in business one way or another.

Rob

Jaded Faith said:
Try it with the original tubes you had in it and be sure to flip their positions if nothing happens at first. After that, check the pins in the tube socket to see if you bent any.
If nothing there helps, shoot me an email and we will get you back in business one way or another.

Rob

Hey Rob,

Tried that no go... hmm... shoot the gain pot with deoxit? can that hurt anything?

Probably going to mail it out to you with a couple other little projects, converting a KH1 to super clean, and I have a plexi module that isn't working so great too. Maybe convert the plexi to something more fun.

Brian