Played a Friedman BE at Tone Merchants today

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
God **** that's a bad *** amplifier! :shock:
I talked with Dave Friedman for a few and asked some questions.
It was a lot of fun.
I didn't get a chance to play with the features on the back panel,
But boy was I impressed.
At some point when I have the money, I'd really like to bring my
MTS rig down there and compare.
I noticed he had some MTS modules on his desk that he was working on.
Had to share.
8)

Those have me so curious. I would love to try and compare but luckily there aren't any shops around me that carry them. I still don't think I could spend the money on one unless there was some sort of magic.

audiomidijace said:
It was a lot of fun.
But boy was I impressed.
Had to share.
8)

Was it the 50 watter? I did the same a year or so ago...Its still the "one" for me...If I were to choose any amp, it would be 100w BE. The price is just too much...so for now, I'll take 90 percent of that tone from RM set up. Honestly, the mods can get close, just missing a bit of the clarity/organic nature of that amp.

If I was to give up on MTS, the Friedman BE 100 or a Cameron CCV would be my go to amps....most likely the Friedman because of his mod work and stellar rep.

It's a bad-*** amp!

I know you guys have mentioned the GTO/Judge is "close" to the BE but it seems to me like all MTS, the modules lack the punch and girth of the real amps. I am with you guys, would be interested in a BE if i could afford one. Nice thing is, a lot of Friedman modded JMPs pop up in the 1200-1500$ range now since the BE's are the latest and greatest! Rblyn is right, "clarity" is what is lacking with MTS. When I A/B them, they just can't win. Recorded and cranked up though, i can make MTS work.

There's a SS100 on RigTalk right now at a great price I would jump on in a heartbeat if I had the cash. The BE100 or SS100 either would be great to own but I just can't justify the cost. I also feel like they are so close to my Eganter Seminar head with the difference in about a couple dollars in components. I hate paying for a name but they do sound amazing.

Tell me about it, do I really need another amp?? Because there is one JMP with a Friedman mod done by a guy who essentially copied his own BE head going for 1350$. Crazy. So tempted. Another one was a metro kit that Dave worked on. Some tempting prices there.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Tell me about it, do I really need another amp?? Because there is one JMP with a Friedman mod done by a guy who essentially copied his own BE head going for 1350$. Crazy. So tempted. Another one was a metro kit that Dave worked on. Some tempting prices there.

I know... saw those as well but I just paid off the credit cards. MUST RESIST. :(

Kapo_Polenton said:
I know you guys have mentioned the GTO/Judge is "close" to the BE but it seems to me like all MTS, the modules lack the punch and girth of the real amps. I am with you guys, would be interested in a BE if i could afford one. Nice thing is, a lot of Friedman modded JMPs pop up in the 1200-1500$ range now since the BE's are the latest and greatest! Rblyn is right, "clarity" is what is lacking with MTS. When I A/B them, they just can't win. Recorded and cranked up though, i can make MTS work.

Hey Kapo- I can still get the "punch" and girth from my set up...Having those KT88's and the 400w Randall XL cabs in the mix does very well in that department. It doesnt seem hard for the RM100 to replicate Marshall tones...Whole different story when you are trying to emulate and Diezel or a Bogner Uberschall or even a Mesa Triple Rectifier- That's just a whole different power section and you have to compromise on those when using MTS. (Again, SG is the best you can get in MTS for Uber tones and I can live with that no problem) Friedman's mods and the Judge as well feel and sound very similar to this amp- And quoting straight from Dave F- The Judge is a Brown Eye w/ a saturation switch....Still love it.....It's just that the real Brown Eye has that extra sparkle and clarity, along with the "feel" that is amazing. There's a reason those amps run for 3k and are the hottest hot rod Marshall amps on the market. Pure Magic.

JD said:
Those have me so curious. I would love to try and compare but luckily there aren't any shops around me that carry them. I still don't think I could spend the money on one unless there was some sort of magic.

The Magic IS there!

rblyn said:
audiomidijace said:
It was a lot of fun.
But boy was I impressed.
Had to share.
8)

Was it the 50 watter? I did the same a year or so ago...Its still the "one" for me...If I were to choose any amp, it would be 100w BE. The price is just too much...so for now, I'll take 90 percent of that tone from RM set up. Honestly, the mods can get close, just missing a bit of the clarity/organic nature of that amp.

It was the 100W. It is pricey, but worth it.

Looking for Dual Egnater modded BE or HBE

Anyone have a lead where to pick up one?

I had a chance to play almost all the Friedman amps at the LA Amp Show in October. They are all great, but the SS100 was it for me. Just amazing. However, I'm perfectly happy with my MTS rig. And I still like the idea that I'm not locked in to one sound.