Plexi vs JTM vs Top Boost

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Reaction score
What are the major tonal differences between these?

I'm debating trading for one, but I really need something that can fill the gap between a Clean module and an SL+. Not looking for anything particularly high gain, just something nice for classic rock, etc.

Also, how well to each clean up?

Having experience with a stock Topboost, Stock Plexi and DF modded topboost, here are my thoughts on these 2 or 3. I haven't tried the JTM, so I can't comment much on that.

Stock topboost has a ton of gain, pretty much can get it to fair with the SL+, to clean up any bit, gain has to be really low. Now my modded DF topboost has less gain on tap, and sounds much more like a topboost, actually it was designed more like a matchless. Still is dirty but has a more usable gain stage and can clean up better, sounds great!

Plexi is a great module, can clean up pretty good, good classic rock.

Also I would consider the Tweed module. JTM, Tweed, Plexi, proballly what you are looking for.

I've owned a stock Plexi, PetePlexi, PeteJTM and PeteTopBoost

JTM seems to have a real surge around here lately, especially boosted. In that application, I can get those cool early 70s Jimi sounds easy. Problem is, it's not a great sound compared to other tones available today- but its re3tro vibe is fun. I do think it has no equal in the smooth huge low end neck pickup jazz tone it delivers

Plexi I never loved- seemed as though I could get **** near close with a SL+ by adjusting the gain lower- but the Plexi had a limit on its moderate gain. Great for most as a ZZTop kind of cheap sunglasses sound, so this would be a solid choice...I've heard clips of others getting more, so maybe this was not a good match with my fingers/playing style. I seem to be the lone forumite who doesn't go gaga over this mod, YMMV

PeteTopBoost is my newest and a great mod...clearly a mid range sound that is distinct. 70s Queen tones are here. Not for everyone, but for me it's way cool. The stock comes with more gain than a Vox, and for a gainhead like me, that would work! I think this would be a great compliment to a SL+, as the Plexi is too closely related, the JTM has that early Marshall buzziness to it on high gain settings. The TopBoost is a nice contrast in flavor....all 3 clean up well with gain low, guitar volume reduced; I like the PeteTopBoost most in this area

interesting

I found the Topboost and SL+ very similiar in sound. The Plexi will definetally sound different.

The JTM is my clean module. The Brahma covers my Plexi era. My JTM is unmodded. In my Lynch Box with my SG the sound nails Angus Young with the gain set at 1:00. With the gain at around 9:00 to 10:00 it's great for blues. A friend of mine brought his Strat over and it will get Jimi with that with the gain set around 2:00 (remember single coils).

I want to get a SL+ to cover the JCM800 and have it Pete modded so it can hit JCM2000 as well.

audioholic said:
interesting

I found the Topboost and SL+ very similiar in sound. The Plexi will definetally sound different.

hmmm, stock vs. Pete causes the discrepency ? This PeteTopBoost is not close in voice to a SL+, stock or modded

Even stock, the top boost has a chime and mid-range that does not sound like the SL+

I guess with pretty varied EQ and power tubes that do not emphasis the mid-range...you could close the gap a little.