Plexi vs JTM

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuna141

Reaction score
Does anyone own both a stock Pexi and a stock JTM? Can you describe the tone and gain differences? Is the JTM brighter than the Plexi?

I'm looking for a medium gain stock module that is kind of a cross between the SL+ and the Plexi. I find the SL+ a little too muddy/thick and a little dark, and the Plex a little too bright and a little to thin (can be harsh at times).

I'm looking for a module that cuts through the mix without being too harsh. Any modules in between these two modules in terms of gain and brightness?

You may want to conisder a Brahma or GTO. Those are 2 modules I never tried, but your description fits them- the JTM has that Jimi Jangle hi end that is a specific sound. May work great for some applications though.

I wonder of your SL+ needs new tubes? That could be worth exploring

I will second the GTO and Brahma. In stock form, the GTO will be more versatile.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I wonder of your SL+ needs new tubes? That could be worth exploring

I've already done some tube swapping, as well as modded the module some in an effort to brighten the SL+ and also give it some more tonal options. These helped but it's still not exactly where I want the module to be. One of the issues I have is I'm using a Mesa Mark IV to power an RM4, and the Mesa's power section is slightly on the dark side - I'm sure the 6L6's in the amp contribute to this as well. EL34's would help cut a little more. The SL+ just doesn't seem to have the clarity I'm looking for. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a GTO or Brahama.