POD HD?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The GC 4 hours away in Knoxville has a Mark V, Lonestar (not working), Stiletto, 2 used 2ch Dual rectos and a used 2ch Triple Rec, an Electradyne, some Egnater, Bugera, Line 6, Fenders, and a Mershall or two (can't remember any tube Marshalls.. Maybe a JCM900).

They have some nice Jacksons and PRSs in stock, a few good Ibanez models (I think EVERY GC in the world has ONE black pearl JS1000 hanging out of the reach of the kids...)

Had to spend 5-10 minutes for them to look up whether or not they did warranty turn-ins for Musician's Friend, though. All GCs are supposed to...

Perhaps it's just my local GC that sucks so badly....They are literally packed with old used Crate combos, some Raven amps, a couple Bugeras, and a million Marshall MGs + Line 6 everything...Perhaps 5% of their amp stock is even worth sitting down and trying....There were two nice Eggies there too...Forgot to mention that...

Mattfig said:
Perhaps it's just my local GC that sucks so badly....They are literally packed with old used Crate combos, some Raven amps, a couple Bugeras, and a million Marshall MGs + Line 6 everything...Perhaps 5% of their amp stock is even worth sitting down and trying....There were two nice Eggies there too...Forgot to mention that...

I think this is standard for most GC. The 2 I frequent for in the Minneapolis area, essentially have the same thing. And the staff tend to be less than helpful. Last time I was in, I thought I would look for a used 4x12. I found a Peavey strait cab (Sheffield speakers) & a Marshall (not sure of model or speakers). The rep decided to plug and play himself instead of letting me sit down & judge for myself. I was turned off by this & said no I'm not interested today & left. I saw the same thing when someone was looking to buy a modeling 1x12 combo.

Mattfig said:

Matt, you should go to Motor City Guitar in Waterford. They have tons of used amps and guitars.

I LOVE Motor City Guitar....It's over an hour from me but worth the trip...They have awesome stock and a really unique floorplan :) Very good suggestion...Not many places like that around anywhere these days...Let alone the fact that they stock MTS....Or at least they used too...ZVex effects too!

Mattfig said:
I LOVE Motor City Guitar....It's over an hour from me but worth the trip...They have awesome stock and a really unique floorplan :) Very good suggestion...Not many places like that around anywhere these days...Let alone the fact that they stock MTS....Or at least they used too...ZVex effects too!

Marty's the best!

I would like to know more about the editing features on the POD HD. Are they pretty straight forward or are there a lot of layered menus and stuff? I have high hopes for the future of modeling. I have heard from several reviews that these units sound really good and feel like tube amps, for the most part. I like the idea of an all-in-one solution, but I have been burned before by the new toys. I also don't want to have to program a whole lot of menus to get a good sound.

Well considering I look at the Randall MTS as "tube modeling" since the modules sound like other amps, it is a slippery slope to processor modeling. And as one gets older one doesn't like hauling around 200 lbs of gear.

You just use the Line 6 edit program you load on your PC. Line 6 Monkey handles updates of firmware and software. You can audition the patches and go from there. Pretty easy. You can make it easy or you can make it hard. It depends how much you like to tweak.

The factory presets are basically garbage and over the top. But that's the way it is with every modeler. I'd suggest building your own. You can build them through your amp's power section and use the POD as a preamp -- you'd just run the output direct into the Serial Loop Return, and you just dial it like a module (cab models off) using the model-preamps and effects. Or you can use the four cable method and use it as an effects only unit. Or you can set your FOH sound, but then don't go overboard because your sound guy is going to want to tweak them anyway. In addition to the amp mode, you could run the XLRs to a Laptop and use cabinet IRs and send those to the mixer at a live gig. Or just go without an amp altogether and run FOH and to a personal monitor.

It's a great tool for recording. Recording presets are the hardest. I'm getting some killer tones out of it. I've gone over to Red Wire IRs loaded into Waves IR1 for recording. My Randall is getting lonesome. I'll still fire it up if I want to crank it, but that's about it.

It's pretty simple: it is set up to run one amp model (or not) + up to 8 effects at once. If you make a dual amp patch, the second amp model uses two DSP slots, which makes sense. People will ***** moan and complain about that but then people want the AXE FX for $400, and they'd still complain.

This brings us to Youtube.... like with any product, including amps, there will be thousands of people doing demos. 90% of the demos will sound like ****. 10% will sort of know what they are doing. Just like you can go into GC and plug into a Mesa DR and sound like **** because it isn't dialed right -- it doesn't mean the Mesa DR is a bad amp. So forget Youtube with these and try one yourself.

So...for a completely clueless question. Are these more of a stombox or are they a preamp or what? Can you run this through a cab in a live setting or is just for recording? I just don't fully understand haha

chuckmehh said:
So...for a completely clueless question. Are these more of a stombox or are they a preamp or what? Can you run this through a cab in a live setting or is just for recording? I just don't fully understand haha

All in one solution...Models everything from pedals, to heads and cabs, down to things like mic selection, distance from amp, you name it...At least that's what PodXT has...POD HD seems to be a big step up from there so I imagine it has more **** to play with...You can use it with a cab and disable the cab simulator but I've not heard anyone pull that off yet...The idea is to give you a lightweight all in one solution to plug into a PA at gigs or whatever monitors you have at home...Or headphones....They are cool units in a pinch as you can get any tone out of it...Good tone? Depends on how much you tweak or care.... :)

It sounds pretty cool honestly...not sure how much I would love it but I'm intrigued to say the least. So you can run it into a cab though and use it as a "pseudo head?"

not sure if you can use it with just a cab. I would think you'd need at least a power amp. But in that scenario, you can turn off the cab sims. Direct into the PA, you'd want those sims on.

It comes with two sets of models:

* full amp models for use with the speaker cab models for going FOH or for recording (or you can disable the cab models and use cab IRs). Line 6 cab models use speaker cone breakup which may or may not be pleasant for people -- they did in the XT, and there was no word that this ever changed since.

* preamp models for use with a power amp and guitar cabs. Just disable the cab models (or use the Live mode on the 300 or 400) -- by the way this sounds awesome. Just plug into the serial loop return of your MTS.

* the 500 has a PAD for use with high output humbuckers so you don't overload the input. I still don't think it is quite enough of a pad for real high output actives.