Power Tube Recommendations for RM80

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKMV12

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had to resort to my old JJ 6V6's and i really don't like them too much. To me they sound flat and weak. I will use them as long as they last but when they finally do go i want something new. I have already tried Ruby 6550C's and i like them a lot...yet i want to broaden my horizon and try something different. I currently own a JF Stein, JF Recto, and a Loneclean. I play heavy metal, thrash metal, doom metal, death metal, blues, and jazz. I would really like to keep them under $50 but i may consider going higher if it is worth it (and i have the money). I have heard that the Tung Sol 5881's and the Svetlana EL34's are good. Anyone have any personal experience with these? What other tubes can you recommend (and why)?

Thanks,
John

My favorite tube in existence is the Ruby EL34BHT. There's just something about that tube that has so much flavor. I am into really low tuned metal as well, ala Drop G# and I feel that BHTs just sound great for the genre.

I also find them to sound a little tighter than other EL34s so chugging sounds really defined and articulate. They aren't too bad on the wallet either.

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/el34-kt77-6ca7/ruby-el34-bht.html

I would say JJ KT88's for sure! but the absolute best EL34 is the TungSol EL34B, best tube out there for EL34 tones, i've literally tried almost every brand possible!

I would say no to JJ KT88s only because of their build quality. In many other amps they end up frying a tube socket because the pins are slightly different in size.

My Baron K88 was built with KT88s in mind and I've used a ton of different ones. If you want a nice sounding KT88 Penta and Ruby make nice ones. EHXs sound rather thin and JJs just don't have a proper build quality.

The only preamp tubes I use now are JAN 12ax7s, JAN 5751s, and Ruby HG+s. All have an extremely now noise platform as well as having great tone. 8)

kylendm said:
I would say no to JJ KT88s only because of their build quality. In many other amps they end up frying a tube socket because the pins are slightly different in size.

My Baron K88 was built with KT88s in mind and I've used a ton of different ones. If you want a nice sounding KT88 Penta and Ruby make nice ones. EHXs sound rather thin and JJs just don't have a proper build quality.

The only preamp tubes I use now are JAN 12ax7s, JAN 5751s, and Ruby HG+s. All have an extremely now noise platform as well as having great tone. 8)
As far as preamp tubes go i use the latter two you mentioned but i haven't looked into the JAN12AX7 too much. They are pretty expensive (compared to the HG+ and 5751). What are your specific thoughts on it? Where do you primarily use it?

Thanks for the suggestions so far...i will definitely consider all of them and most likely try each one eventually. What is good as far as 6L6's go? I saw in another thread that Shinozoku recommends the Tung Sol 5881 and it looks like a promising tube. Anyone have any experience with this tube?

Thanks,
John

I don't think the 5881 is a good recommendation. Their plate voltage can only pull up to 400v and as far as I know the RM100 pulls a bit more than that. I'm not sure about RM80s but putting more voltage in a tube that can only handle so much isn't good. This also goes for normal 6L6s and 6L6GBs. 6L6GCs can handle up to 500v and are normally the type of tubes you'll be using in these amps.

I don't like the sound of any 6L6s so I can't say much about them. ;)

I like the JAN 12ax7 in the V1 on any amp. This tube has VERY little noise and it sounds great along with having a lot of gain on tap. Preamp tubes don't make too much of a musical difference but getting one of these I noticed a slight difference.

Anyone who is using Tung-sol 12ax7s I have noticed that compared to Rubys and JANs they do not have as much gain, and at high volumes going from 12 o clock to 5 o clock with the gain knob you may not hear much of a difference at all. JANs and Rubys have a much more noticeable difference.

kylendm said:
I don't think the 5881 is a good recommendation. Their plate voltage can only pull up to 400v and as far as I know the RM100 pulls a bit more than that. I'm not sure about RM80s but putting more voltage in a tube that can only handle so much isn't good. This also goes for normal 6L6s and 6L6GBs. 6L6GCs can handle up to 500v and are normally the type of tubes you'll be using in these amps.

I don't like the sound of any 6L6s so I can't say much about them. ;)

I like the JAN 12ax7 in the V1 on any amp. This tube has VERY little noise and it sounds great along with having a lot of gain on tap. Preamp tubes don't make too much of a musical difference but getting one of these I noticed a slight difference.

Anyone who is using Tung-sol 12ax7s I have noticed that compared to Rubys and JANs they do not have as much gain, and at high volumes going from 12 o clock to 5 o clock with the gain knob you may not hear much of a difference at all. JANs and Rubys have a much more noticeable difference.
where do you get the JAN 12AX7? i think i will try that when i get the money for a tube change. what would you recommend for the V1 in a hi gain module?

Ruby HG+ in V1 in a module and depending on what your going for a Tung-sol may help make the tone smoother in V2 but another Ruby is fine as well.

You used to be able to get JAN 12ax7s for a decent price on Dougstubes.com (where I get all my tubes) but here is selling some.

http://thetubestore.com/ge12ax7.html

I'd check ebay because that's $60 :shock: