Problems with RM 50 combo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaded Faith said:
The first thing you should do with any amp when you get odd noises or volume fluctuations that are not obviously tube related is a thorough cleaning of the loop and input jacks. Use Deoxit or a contact cleaner on a guitar cable and work the jack a few times. This is an often overlooked maintenance procedure that fixes many an issue.

Rob

Hey Rob, wanted to say thanks for the advice. I just got my amp together and it was making noises. I did the contact cleaner on all the jacks and all the noise went away.

I have an RM50 combo and 2 heads. I use these amps all the time..never any issues...
The combo stays at home, 1 RM50 head stays at our practice space and the other one is in the band truck...

My RM50 is doing great just actually turned it on for the first time in a month or so and instantly remembered why i love it so much, and that reason is pure tone. I dont have to crank it nearly as much to get the tubes cooking. If i ever get into a studio i know which amp im gonna be recording with!
-mp-

Got a call from the local tech this morning before he started working on my amp. I explained everything the RM50 was doing and some of the things others here were suggesting as a possible fix.
He called me back this afternoon and said he's been playing it all morning and can't find anything wrong with it!? All the solder joints looked great, he did say I may need to change the preamp tubes soon but everything looked rock solid. He suggested I try a different guitar cable so I'll be investing in a better cable which I've never paid much attention to before. I usually just grab any cord available and use it. They're pretty old so maybe that was the problem? I also bought a better power amp cord so maybe that'll help too.
I'll be picking it up tomorrow and hopefully get back to enjoying the RM50 once again.

Arg...those intermitent problems are very bad and difficult to repair. :evil:

I had the same problem with a Plexi clone.
Maybe, it seems that the problem should be a component itself? (capacitor etc)?