Question about Audio and Recording

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Reaction score
Hey all i was wondering, what do i need for quality recordings. I have a RM100, Marshall 1960 Lead cab, Cakewalk and thats about it. What else do i need, Audio interfaces, Mics, Mixers, ect. Could you guys give me a basic idea of what i need and some recomendations of gear that is decent. Lets set a 600$ budget.

You need a good interface. I would choose something like the Presonus Firebox or anything from M-Audio. Both will work with Cakewalk just fine.

its getting cheaper and cheaper to compete with expensive studios. Granted, if you want INCREDIBLE sound..you still need them...but for a few hundred bucks you can get sound that most audiences would find just as satisfying.
I havent used Cakwalk..but presonus makes perfectly good a/d convertoer boxes so get going..!!! record ,record,record!
recording is ,in itself, an instrument so get crackin..it will take time till you feek you can get an idea from your head down to "tape".
hear my stuff at
myspace.com/georgebarrysolo

Ooo... this is a slippery slope here. It's a money pit.

first comes the MAudio Fast Track Pro, then comes M-Powered ProTools 8 after you find out you really need more than 4 tracks to play around with. Then comes Addictive Drums or EZDrummer. Then comes Reason. Then Melodyne. Then a new computer to do this with the right way. Then new monitors for editing. Then a reamping kit from Radial Engineering so you can reamp through your Randall. Then a cabinet modelling plugin.....

Julia said:
Ooo... this is a slippery slope here. It's a money pit.

first comes the MAudio Fast Track Pro, then comes M-Powered ProTools 8 after you find out you really need more than 4 tracks to play around with. Then comes Addictive Drums or EZDrummer. Then comes Reason. Then Melodyne. Then a new computer to do this with the right way. Then new monitors for editing. Then a reamping kit from Radial Engineering so you can reamp through your Randall. Then a cabinet modelling plugin.....
Along with Sure SM57 and Sennheiser E609 mics, monster cables, homemade soundproof booths for your cab, a great set of studio headphones...

I use the KORG D32xd. does a fairly nice job on effects, has a drum machine thats halfway decent, varity of guitar amp presets, motorized faders and you can mix it down and burn it right on the internal CD burner. The learning curve is a bit steep, but once you figure it out, you'll be pleased with the results. Going price on Ebay, $1k ballpark. A little brother to the one I have is the KORG d16xd

I use a Presonus Firestudio Project for a recording interface, Cubase 4 as a recording progam which also included multiple plug-in effects, e906 and sm57 mmicrophones, and Beta Monkey Metal drum loops for ideas and as a reference to keep me in time when recording my drums tracks live.
The Presonus Firestudio Project has 8 XLR inputs which suits my needs for recording my drums, but might be too much for you. I would recomend the Presonus Frirebox which features two XLR inputs, great for recording guitars and adding drums in the mix.