Rack FX for RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feefop

Reaction score
I've looking for a nice rack FX unit to use with the parallel loop in the RM 100. Currently I'm using an old Ibanez AD202 analog delay and an ADA time FX, both rack units. Nice, but I think maybe a bit dirty/muddy when the gain is cranked. Looking especially for cleaner effects to use with lots of distortion.

Thinking a TC G force would be cool. But of course the loop is mono, so can't take advantage of stereo FX.

So what do you use with your RM100?

After some reliable recomendations, I picked up a TC G-Major a few years ago, they were full price back then, but now you can get used ones for as low as $200. Great units and sounds, the delay-based effects are top quality, comparable to the more expensive G-Force, which I have used . They work really well with my RM100 as well.
Great unit for a great price.

I've heard the G major 2 sounds about the same as the G force, just no harmonizer and less tweakability. How is the harmonizer on the G force?

Not a fan at all of my G Major 2 with the RM100/LB100. I think the effex loop sucks. I have too much loss of overall volume and clipping on the unit. Squashes my tone. The solution is wet/dry rig and i am currently waiting on a little EH poweramp to run the wet side.

I am in a similar situation.
I like and own a Tc Gmaj2 and its good but requires a midifootswitch..and that takes up space, and time to set up. I need to be set very quickly. (out of town gigs, etc etc) . And so far theres no quick and easy solution..

if ya use a Gmaj you need a footswitch and they all cost stupid money for what you get. Most of them have TAC switches mounted on the PCB that breaks all the time under gig use. So I'm kinda left to look at ones with good carling swityches, but those units are very expensive (even though the switches are actually just a few bucks each..).
Its weird...so far I have been forced to look at midi footswitches are SEMI-DISPOSABLE tools. use em for a bunch of gigs and then go find a another used one.
I know this isnt directly on topic but it does matter and you should give it some thought..do you want a rack piece for your rm 100 fx needs? or just an all in one?..which is much faster setup and tear down (like the Rocktron mentioned earlier..or that Tc box that does multi Fx and has carling switches on it, cant recall the name)..
otherwise the best solution I know is a full blown Tc G System at about $800 used . Thats more than the amp cost!!

Would someone make an affordable, road quality midi footswitch???????????????????????????????????????????????

GtrGeorge! said:
if ya use a Gmaj you need a footswitch and they all cost stupid money for what you get. Most of them have TAC switches mounted on the PCB that breaks all the time under gig use. So I'm kinda left to look at ones with good carling swityches, but those units are very expensive (even though the switches are actually just a few bucks each..).

The midi pedal in this picture is an old Rockman Midipedal I've kept alive since the late 80s. All the switches were replaced with Carling switches. I patched the extra mounting holes for the old switches with automotive bondo stuff and painted it.

6923834533_18735f38f2_z.jpg

You can find these on ebay sometimes for cheap. I check every now and then in case I need some donor parts. It works great if you just need program changes. It controls the Patchmate Floor 8, MOD50, RM4 and the Eventide pedals.

What about this bad boy: http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/midimoose.html

Or the mini moose. You just make sure the 3 patches you want are in groups so during a song you just hit the one you want through up or down. Small foot print and let's face it, most of us generally stick with a bit of delay/verb/ some chorus and then the rest of the pedals are out front.

Thanks for the suggestions...
I never considered the Rockman, and it is a good idea...once it is modded.
The Midi mouse is more grab and go..and because Im not handy this seems the solution for me,so far. I just hope those switches are not mounted to a PCB!!!!!!
but back on topic, imho..the gmaj and gmaj2 sound excellent if you want to go with rackstuff. The Rocktron stuff is also great sounding, I have owned both and have used them extensively.

GtrGeorge

I've been using the same RFX Midi buddy for like 10 years now. I love the thing. I actually like the pads instead of switches. You can stomp on them and they don't break. They seem easier to see to hit. You can get them cheap on the bay. Here's one sitting at $10.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIDI-Buddy-Pedal-Rolls-and-25-MIDI-cable-/110829899177?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item19cdfa0da9

it phantom powers up from my R4 or RM100. All you run is a standard midi cable and boom!

Thanks...BIGTIME

I saw ther midi buddy at a store,and at first glance I thought
"If a drunk chich steps on this its gonna break right then and there"

but after 10 years of use...that says something.

So, can it take that kind of abuse? It looks so fragile.

GtrGeorge

I'm thinking the tech21 is the leader for me right now but the voodoo labs stuff is also good to look into. The midi ground controller is 400$ and gets really good reviews. Control pedals and rack effects.

I've done a lot of shows with that midi buddy and those plastic buttons are tougher than they look.

Kapo,
I LOVE the old Ground control by Voodoo..I dont like the newer version. You have to step over buttons, its to big, to easy to make a mistake etc etc. If they had just FIXED the old one..Id be a Happy guy. They shouldve NOT mounted the switches directly to the PCB and they shouldve used Carlings.
GtrGeorge

That's good info to know.. I'll bet most of these are mounted to PCB unfortunately.. I think i might just go midi mouse for now myself. Simple and effective and small foot print. Just put patches close together for what I want like Dokken settings clean-rythm-lead and then say UFO Shenker settings rythm and lead etc.... I will always go back to same 3-4 presets anyway.

Kapo, and others...
Yeah I understand what you mean,

I am having my gear moddified to my specs. If Randall or Voodoo isnt gonna come across, I'll get it done myself. Life is to short to wait...
I can get it done faster and better this way. Though its taken me a while to digest why anyone would make a tool for live use that is destined to fail so easily as PCB mounted footswitches..
example: Guitarist weighs 200 lbs, applies 60lbs pressure to it
drunk guy sings along (weighs 240) he stomps all over it...etc etc etc

I have personally seen the entire board cracked on a MultFx unit because a drunk waltzed thru the stage area and stepped on it. It happens. I dont blame the drunk...what does one expect? You go to an event where there is alot of alcohol around and eventually someone over-consumes. I don't blame the band, But I do think the maker of the unit. They should have realized these machines go into some very tough environments.
Hence I look at many designs as sub par for professional use, Nice ideas, but made for bedroom musicians only.
..and may I suggest more musicians realize THAT....so many products out there are actually designed for amatuers, and not pros.
I f you want real, durable goods...cheap plastic parts from abroad aren't going to be your friend when the unit fails in Peoria at 2:30am during a show.
GtrGeorge

So which way are you thinking of going then? I would think that the midi mouse is perfect for the simple reason that it is a smaller footprint for them to miss when they trounce all over everything else!

So for clarification, you'd be looking for something that might use a PCB inside the hard metal housing but that has leads leaving the PCB board to a proper footswitch so that no weight from the foot is transferred to the actual PCB correct? I'm sure there are a few custom places that would build something like that for you. A quick search on google found a lot of similar complaints about buttons not lasting.... which to me would mean the button is prob fine it is likely the board underneath that has problems or the connections/traces maybe cracking from the stress?

Kapo,
the midi Moose REALLY did look like the fix for me...but I am having some custom work done for me..and I have decided not to settle....
I will have this made for me..it wont cost all that much and it will be exactly what I need.
I am having similar things done for me on a number of circuits. If you catch me and my band, you will see that I strive to be much better than what others settle for. No offence , just trying to always be better at my game.
GtrGeorge