Rack of Delight June 2012

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacksauce said:
I for one would love to see your setup in more detail Fig! I'm all in on MTS and have been considering the rack route. The RM100 is a real back breaker for sure...

Haha that had to be fun to rub it in! :twisted: That has to be annoying for those guys. Extremely well cloned tone if not improving upon the originals and for less money. MTS is a beautiful thing.

Oh yeah, the rack route is the only way to roll MTS style...Certainly the loser in the weight category as well as expense but it is the most flexible...I wouldn't trade my RM4s for anything but M4s...:) They are great and have worked very well..

Those two factors have kept me sticking with the rm100 and now rm22. I have an sm57 and the 412 cab with mic eliminator. The ability to use any power amp you like is pretty fantastic though.

Matt, that is a great story. I also have a friend that is a very good player and although not a amp purist, I think he thought the rm was a modeler when I showed him the modules. Then finally opened it up with a stock plexi and got that holy **** look. From there to my SL+ in one of the tighter settings and got the holy holy **** look again. It was great.

Matt, I have a question for you about settings. I noticed that in the picture of the RoD, you have the master on all of the RM4s on about 2. I have been experiencing some clippage on my RM4 and have backed it down to 2. Is that what is going on with you too?

ricky said:
Matt, I have a question for you about settings. I noticed that in the picture of the RoD, you have the master on all of the RM4s on about 2. I have been experiencing some clippage on my RM4 and have backed it down to 2. Is that what is going on with you too?

Hey Ricky,

It's more of a habit for me to keep the master on the RM4 lower...I basically always start that way and then raise it if I need to for recording, etc...Don't really know about the clip issue as I am lucky not to have that problem...Too much volume on the RM4 could push my outboard gear into clipping though- I know that...Hope that makes sense....

Mattfig said:
Thanks Mr. Sauce! The RoD is so big it has to be organized to be functional...I've been planning on making a youtube vid for any interested parties on how it's all linked and operates...At least I've had a handful of requests...The cool part is that I use one foot controller to access everything...Each mod has a specific set of power tubes, specific external EQ, goes through pedals and racks for FX, and routes out via DI and traditional cabs...It's fun when it is working, which is about 95% of the time...

For live, I'm the singer...lol...But when I play guitar live (which is regularly again) I typically use my RM50 with a Randall 412 of X-patterned Celestions - Neos and KHs...I have the exact same cab for my RM100 but only use that when other people carry our gear...lol...Which isn't too often anymore...The RM100 sounds better but not enough to justify the extra weight on a regular basis...I think it's as heavy as the cab it sits on...

Anyway, last night I field-tested the RM50 setup and it was bliss...It was super awesome for me because one of my guitarists is a strict vintage Marshall guy and scoffs at anything else no matter how great...Well, long story short, we were both playing 80s Les Pauls and when I was using my JF PlexiTweed in Plexi mode with a boost - our tones were indistinguishable at loud volume - note: never heard them quiet but I'm sure it would have been the same...Anyway, it was crazy close in tone..I knew it was for him too because he looked annoyed but would never admit it...Then my other guitar player laughed when he turned on his mesa stiletto as though he'd won the monster gain award...Then I just stepped on the footswitch, activated the TerrierII, and enjoyed a last chuckle...Both pay out the *** for expensive gear and just two mods and 50 watts was every bit as good as theirs and IMO, much better...

In instance 1, my PlexiTweed still had a tight switch, boost, and Fender modes...His Marshall was doing one of its two tricks...It also has a great clean - that the PlexiTweed matched easily...

In instance 2, the stiletto sounds great but I have another 6 modules that crush it...The TerrierII got to have the fun last night providing a deeper and richer tone than the Stiletto but both had similar tone strangely enough...The TerrierII was just better...

Don't get me wrong, both guys have killer tone, mine's just better... :wink:

AWESOME STORY MATT!! Reminds me of when our other guitarist used a Triple Rectifier (I used to myself) and after getting destroyed over and over for months in practice/gigs with identical cabs etc...(tone wise, cut through the mix) etc...they finally relented and got an RM100! :twisted: They havent looked back since.... The Mesa was (and is) the loudest beast ever and at 150 watts was a beast- but was muddy, fuzzy, terrible cleans and played stiff. Just a constant fight with the knobs.....At the time, I was using mostly a stock Scary, Hilly Snorkeler and a JF Erect and it was just no contest at all. I sold off my Triple Rec, Blackstar, Marshall and Peavey heads.....no regrets.