Randall Plexi vs JTM, SL+, Egnater SL

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGear

Reaction score
Yesterday I demo-d some modules to a customer.
I have a/b-ed his Randall JTM, SL+, Plexi to my Egnater SL.
I was really surprised by the Randall Plexi.
To be honest I think this one is the best Marshall module of Randall and beats the Egnater SL!
Plexi is more organic, more open. SL does have the Egnater mid-sauce most Marshall related modules have (SL, SL2, EG3/4).
If I remember correclty Doug Reynolds onces said the Randall Plexi is more Plexi than Egnater SL. I guess it's true.
For stock Randall modules my fav. list is Plexi, 1086, 1987.

I took some flack just a few days ago for AGAIN stating that the Plexi is a serious Module..and not to be dismissed lightly. I think Mike P was the guy saying I was "off" (in the context of covering 80s hair band music..).
But I stand by my thoughts. I have owned an SL+, I have an arredondo modded Plexi and I have a stock Plexi...
and frankly the Plexi STILL proves it's salt at every gig where I use it.
This Fri I am playing in NJ, and I wish I could bring it...but this situation doesnt allow it. So come see what I am using and tell me if it sounds good or not!!
Holiday Road Live at Zeppelin Hall Beirgarten Fri Nov 4th 9pm in Jersey City,NJ.
GtrGeorge

GtrGear said:
I did buy a few nos Randall's for modding including a Plexi. But
the Plexi won't see a solder iron!

I don't know...I like the stock Plexi too, but send it to Sacred Groove to become a MK22 and you will only be happier...His mod isn't extreme nor expensive, he just fine tunes the thing to perfection...At least to my ear....It's the best plexi I've heard through MTS...

Stock Plexi is still my favorite Module. It just has that teeth gnashing crunch that I love.

I agree GtrGeorge. We build our own modules but didn't see a need to try and improve on the stock Plexi (aside from adding Silver Mica's for the bright and treble caps, stock values), and we have a real vintage 50W Plexi to compare it to.

The only thing I did aside from those cap type changes, was to mellow out the bright cap a little which is a common mod on vintage Marshall amps, though that's really just to match it up with the guitar's pups etc (mostly P90's and PAF's in our case).

Randall got the Plexi right IMO (haven't heard an Eggie Plexi?).

GtrGeorge! said:
I took some flack just a few days ago for AGAIN stating that the Plexi is a serious Module..and not to be dismissed lightly. I think Mike P was the guy saying I was "off" (in the context of covering 80s hair band music..).
But I stand by my thoughts. I have owned an SL+, I have an arredondo modded Plexi and I have a stock Plexi...
and frankly the Plexi STILL proves it's salt at every gig where I use it.
This Fri I am playing in NJ, and I wish I could bring it...but this situation doesnt allow it. So come see what I am using and tell me if it sounds good or not!!
Holiday Road Live at Zeppelin Hall Beirgarten Fri Nov 4th 9pm in Jersey City,NJ.
GtrGeorge

finally, i sense some appreciation for the Plexi.

GtrGeorge

and it's cousin the Brahma which also won't see a soldering iron. I think it is perfect as is.

hey how about some good stock plexi soundclips? I'll do a brahma to match.

Mattfig said:
GtrGear said:
I did buy a few nos Randall's for modding including a Plexi. But
the Plexi won't see a solder iron!

I don't know...I like the stock Plexi too, but send it to Sacred Groove to become a MK22 and you will only be happier...His mod isn't extreme nor expensive, he just fine tunes the thing to perfection...At least to my ear....It's the best plexi I've heard through MTS...
I have a Sacred Groove Plexi and it's really quite a tone

Kapo_Polenton said:
and it's cousin the Brahma which also won't see a soldering iron. I think it is perfect as is.

hey how about some good stock plexi soundclips? I'll do a brahma to match.

When I get the new amp set up and get the plexi in, I will do a proper review, showing all the levels of gain.

I couldn't find a single video like that on youtube

Agreed there isn't a well mic'ed video anywhere. A few fuzzy videos with room mics capturing the audio but not the same..

The Plexi was OK. Probably would have been better with a Screamer in front. I found it too boomy in the low end which I couldn't dial out until it got too thin sounding.

+1 on the Brahma.

Hamner1 said:
The Plexi was OK. Probably would have been better with a Screamer in front. I found it too boomy in the low end which I couldn't dial out until it got too thin sounding.

+1 on the Brahma.
You need it modded...It's perfect then

Latest posts