Randall R212 JT Cabinet

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertemmer

Reaction score
Hi all. I just purchased a used r212 jt. I have it plugged up and it sounds really nice. I didnt play long on it as I first, cant read the back plate. I know its a 4/16 ohm-8ohm cab. There is a left and right input and a 2 position up/down switch in between them. I have looked everywhere on the internet and ebay and cant find a sinlge bit of info on it. Can anyone help me. I would like to make sure I have it setup on the back before I push to much power through it. Also, I am running a crate combo gt-212 (120 watts) through a fender hm 412 (have no clue either to its specs besides it says 8 ohms on the back plate) to the randall. Im really excited about this addition to my rig as I have heard that randall is some fine stuff. It sounded fine running this way and the crate people told me it would not hurt anything. I cant afford a new head right now so I am sure you understand why I am asking for advice on this beauty. Is there a way to date it from the serial number also? Thanks a ton way in advance.
R Emmer
Accompanying guitarist
Hi Tyde

No I havent. The only real way to look inside is the back plate. It is got screws on the front, one in each corner but that would be looking at just the cones. Thanks for a reply. Should I take the back plate off and look inside that way? The handles are also unscrewable. That could be an alternative with out possibly pulling wires off the back plate.

The back plate came off no problem. The speakers are jaguar res-80 and say 8 ohms. They also say high performance speaker and made in Irvine Ca. Here is what the wiring looks like.

P1010650.jpg

The picture shows the back plate correctly up and down.
Thanks in advance.
RE

I used to have an pold randall 212 back in the early 80s and if I remember correctly it was about 150 watts,it had 2 jags in it.I used it with an old rg80es that I had.

Oh, so can anyone tell what is the 4/16 side and the 8 ohm side by this picture? Also the switch position for each? Ive been using my crate head and fender 412 but I really want to add this or use it by itself with my 212 combo crate. Thanks.

R. "I get whiskey bent and hellbound" Emmer

come on..Please a little help. I am a musician asking for help. If you dont believe that, Ill be the one you see and you DO say, thats a pretty good style. Just a little help. I will thank you when I get the help, not before like before. Maybe Im doing a job interview. Ill bet some of you wouldnt mind being a roadie, or , lol, a groupie.

Uh hem, Rock and Roll

R Emmer, Lots of licenses ans credentials

Well if you can't read the back, there isn't much anyone here can do for you based on what you've told us and the pic you posted. Here's what you can do to test it yourself. Take the meter you use to bias your amp and set it to read ohms (this assumes you have a multimeter and it has an ohm setting). Plug your speaker cable into the cab and touch the tip on the other end with the red lead on the meter and the sleeve with the black lead. This will give you the ohmage for that jack/switch setting. Repeat with both jacks and switch settings taking notes as you go. I would use a paint marker to relabel the back of the cab.

I found this link http://www.daddys.com/used/?itemnumber=RAN12217

Looks like your cab from the pic you posted and it appears to be a 150 watt 2x12 cab.

I tried that first but I didnt get a good reading. I am assuming that I read from the end thats to go into the amp. My meter is good. I let you know. Thanks man, I do appreciate the help.
Robert

You are reading from the right end, but cable readings can be tough to get sometimes. You could also take the plate off like you did for your pics again and take a reading right at the solder connections to the jack itself.