Recording with Two Notes Torpedo products

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
Guys,
I've had the Torpedo CAB for a while now using Ownhammer IRs. I come out of the RM4 in to the CAB, then into my interface. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Torpedo Live or adding the Suhr Reactive load so I can use the RT2/50 power amp to improve the tone and feel. Anybody with experience on the subject care to share their opinions?

I like IR's and was using a Suhr Line out ISO between amp and cab to capture the amp and put it into twonotes wall of sound with ownhammer impulses as well. I find though, I just can't get it to sound as good as my mics. I am not sure the Suhr reactive load will do any better than what you have to be honest. Of the clips i have heard, only PEte Thorn is able to get the sounds I would like. Everyone else's sound a little bass heavy and too rounded on the top end. This is the issue i have with a lot of impulses as well. Too rounded or polished. Also if i look at the sound waves in my recording interface, I notice there are far less spikes meaning the whole thing is a lot more even but to me, also missing some dynamics. Not much help i know. I just think before investing in the torpedo live, ask yourself if you really like the tone of impulses. When I watches the Steve Stevens Torpedo live demo, I noticed how much i didn't care for his tone at all. Usually he has great tone. But through the live product, it left me cold. Where I think there might be use for this, is playing leads. Other than that, for my rythms, I am digging a real mic through my shitty pre's I guess..

I hear you. But I need silent recording as I'm in a townhouse. Two things that are REALLY helping me are the Waves V series Neve EQ and the Waves Non Linear Summer which has console emulation with drive controls. The EQ on the CAB sucks.
The thing I'm really hoping for is improved FEEL. It just feels really stiff playing through these and listening to studio monitors. Sometimes I turn on my power amp so I can hear my cab and mute the recording track. But I can't always do that for volume reasons.
I think I've made up my mind to try the Suhr Reactive Load.
The word is that these are hard to get at the moment. I expect to hear back from my dealer about an ETA by the end of the week.

Bingo. The feel listening through monitors. It feels like there is only one dimension or dynamic. I can't explain it but i know i felt it. Have you considered a small cab in a closet with tons of layers? At the very least, combine that with the torpedo stuff and you can feel the rumble from the amp.

One problem I found with IRs:
-At what volume are they recorded

They are snapshots, forget reactance to lowering the guitar volume
if they are a signal pushed through a heavily distorted speaker and/or mic, and/or pre
that's all you're gonna get
Same as forgetting that same Hardware OD chunk when the IR is a signal recorded at '1' on a fender twin

FYI, IR's only duplicate the source's linear assets, i.e. freq response, no non-linear assets like distortion or compression.

Be sure to use a short room sim with your Two Notes cab sims as they're too short (18ms) to capture all the room tone (they capture the early reflections influence on freq response only). A short early-reflection reverb or IR works good (between 0.25 ms and 0.75 ms in addition to your other time-based FX).

Also be aware that a couple of small studio monitors will never feel like a 4 X 12 blasting your pant legs either.

I have no problems getting great clean thru pushed mid-gain tones with my Torpedo CAB and my MTS preamps (using the CAB's tube power amp sims)?

I'd suggest looking into some of the new Two Notes Capture Masters real-time adjustable cab via the Two Notes site. These were done by high-end studios in the EU, and some of the new Two Notes cabs are great!

I have a Torpedo Live as well as RT2/50 so I could do some testing. The point of Torpedo was not having to carry the RT2/50 around so I didn't really try them together. If I remember correctly I use OwnHammer impulses with the Torpedo power amp simulation and Rosen impulses without it.

Hi
I'm running my Eggies with an amplifire.
The amplifire provides power amp distortion as well as loading IRs'
I use ownhammer irs and i couldn't be happier.
Bonus of Amplifire effects as well