RM100 - tube mixing...Yellow Jackets

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
I'll be getting my Egnater modded RM100M back soon(ish)...

I know the middle pair tends to dominate the sound but I just had a wicked thought.

Anyone ever try Yellow Jackets in the outer two sockets? it'd effectively be simulclass operation.

JKD said:

I know the middle pair tends to dominate the sound but I just had a wicked thought.

Anyone ever try Yellow Jackets in the outer two sockets? it'd effectively be simulclass operation.

Any update on this? Seems interesting

crankyrayhanky said:
JKD said:

Any update on this? Seems interesting

Still waiting for my RM100 to arrive....can't believe no one else has tried this tho'

Check it out

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_yellowjacket.html

basically is a converter to allow the use of other tubes in your power tube section

I am using YJ EL84s in my RM 100. They sound great.

You can see them in this pick

IMG_0278.jpg

Aaronharmon said:

IMG_0278.jpg

Did you try them mixed with say a 6550 or 6L6? :D

JKD said:
Aaronharmon said:

IMG_0278.jpg

Did you try them mixed with say a 6550 or 6L6? :D

I have not tried that. I have 6L6's but I am only running a single pair of tubes to reduce the overall power output to more manageable levels (about 20 watts)

I read somewhere that the yellow jackets only handle a plate voltage of 510V or under? If the Randall's plate voltage is 530V, how's that work?

They get a little warm in use...never had a problem in my RM50 though.

I tried some yellowjacks...actually the Groove Tube version in my MTS 100 Lynchbox....sounded very thin compared to the 6L6/EL34 combination I use..even at lower volumes...The tubes also got really hot....glad I didn't blow the amp up...

Old thread but a good one

I finally tried the yellow jackets in my rt2/50; 5881s on the other side

I usually run 6L6s, before that 34s....to my ears the YJ sounded articulate but probably too much attack/not enough body for my rock/metal (excellent tone for low volume though) The 5881 almost had the opposite- not a good low volume, it need to open up to really come alive; generally seemed a bit of the opposite of the YJ

Together, they complimented each other real well!

Every tube is different, every player is different, this was just my one experience tonight

so you say that this yellow jackets allow to play with a good tone , some metal at low volume ?
seems really interresting