RM100 vs RM50 power sections

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
I have a RM50 combo and a RM100 head. I have owned 2 RM50 combo's in the recent past and noticed that the RM100 head seems to be a good bit brighter/clearer than the RM50's.

I have heard some say that they like the RM50 power section better because it sounds "sweeter" than the 100 but I am finding that I like the 100 better because I can use more of the tone controls on the modules before I get mud in the low end. I need to spend more time with each but that was my initial observation running them through the same TM2X12.

I have used 6550's, EL34's, and 6L6's in the combos but have only used the 6L6's that came with the RM100 so far. They look old too so maybe they are just at the end of their life and lack bottom end on their own. I plan on dropping in a set of 6550's and newer 6L6's this week to compare.

Anyone else notice a difference between the two power sections?

I'll have (for the 4th time LOL) a 100W amp in my possession early next month..and I do intend to keep it this time....losing money on amps all the time is no fun for sure :D

What I've disliked about the RM100s in the past is the feel...also overwhelming bassy...I couldn't even begin to use the depth control...anything above 9 o'clock sounded fake and loose.

I learn more about tweaking stuff all the time...if this one is the same as the rest then I will probably modify it at the input and I'm hoping someone will work out how to get better range on the depth control...

My experience is the opposite. On the two RM50 combo's, the depth control never gets above 9:00. On the RM100, I have it at noon now and it could go higher. I am starting to think that the power tubes must be close to being shot. Sometime this week I will swap some tubes and see what it does.

JKD said:
I'll have (for the 4th time LOL) a 100W amp in my possession early next month..and I do intend to keep it this time....losing money on amps all the time is no fun for sure :D

What I've disliked about the RM100s in the past is the feel...also overwhelming bassy...I couldn't even begin to use the depth control...anything above 9 o'clock sounded fake and loose.

I learn more about tweaking stuff all the time...if this one is the same as the rest then I will probably modify it at the input and I'm hoping someone will work out how to get better range on the depth control...

What felt different on the 100 compared to the 50 to you? Since my experiences with the low end were different from yours this may be irrelevant.

The 100 felt stiffer to play and just doesn't have the same warmth as the 50...not to mention the MV on the 50 seemed a bit more manageable to me since I'm playing at home.

JKD said:
The 100 felt stiffer to play and just doesn't have the same warmth as the 50...not to mention the MV on the 50 seemed a bit more manageable to me since I'm playing at home.

I need to swap some tubes and compare again. My 50 has way more low end than my 100 and I find the 100 sounds better at lower levels than the 50 too. I have tried 6550's, 6L6's, and EL34's in the 50 but still have only used the 6L6's that came with (used) 100. They have got to be nearing the end of their life.

I am going to drop the 6550's in the middle and some new JJ6L6's in the outer sockets along with a 5751 in the PI and see what I get.

6550s will pretty much just give you more headroom. A lot more, but only in the power section which can be nice for cleans.

djkal said:
Eyeball which tube did you prefer in your rm50 combo?

6550's with a 5751 in the PI. That mix just seemed to add some punch, clarity, and smoothness to the tone. I run my master at noon or higher and keep the module volume low too so I don't know what that might contribute.

djkal said:
so it s 2 6550 s and what s a 5751? is it a 12ax7?

Yes. It is a drop in replacement for a 12AX7 with less gain. Someone else could explain it better than me but a 5751 seems to improve the clarity in all of the modules when used in the PI. This is not a requirement, just something that I like.

Yes, two 6550's in the power section and then the 5751 in the PI of the amp. I don't even know what preamp tubes are in the other spots of the amp. Probably EH's.