RM100KH +Mr Scary+ Greenbacks =?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yngzaklynch

Reaction score
The RM100KH has 6L6s in it Can I still expect a decent Geoge Lynch type tone? I wonder how this is gonna sound. I would like to think it'll sound something like whats on the Lynchmob albums. Obviously I'm not GL and don't have the equipment or talent he has. Still I'm hoping this rig get's me in that ballpark.

Never played the KH but I couldnt imagine that you could not get in that ball park with any of the RM100s. Just be sure to have a few of his sig modules and you'll be good.

plus you can change the tubes out to anything you like so you can be sure your dialing in that sweet tone you so desire.

I would imagine if you want to really nail the Lynch tone, you'll need to switch to EL34s. An all maple guitar and George's fingers wouldn't hurt either. :lol:

6L6s put you in the ballpark....EL34 mid push gets you to the starting line :D

I still prefer these amps with 6L6s but lately Ruby EL34BSTR, GT EL34(6ca7) have me really smiling....my tastes may be shifting to less scoopage and more 'vocal' tones...

JKD said:

I still prefer these amps with 6L6s but lately Ruby EL34BSTR, GT EL34(6ca7) have me really smiling....my tastes may be shifting to less scoopage and more 'vocal' tones...

Ever try SED EL34s? The rock!!

yngzaklynch said:
JKD said:

Ever try SED EL34s? The rock!!

I have a pair in my other rig...to be honest, I'm not sold but I'm not used to comparing tubes in that rig (it has WGS vet30 and ET-65 in a 2x12 and I'm used to G12H30 and v30 in my 4x12)

There's also a difference in the power section of the amps. The KH is designed with different frequency centers for the Presence and Density making the power section sound more "Mesa", whereas the Lynch Box is more "Marshall" sounding in structure. This is in addition to the power tube differences. Still you should be able to get close with a set of EL34s.

In the LB I like the stock JJ EL34Ls. But because of the midrange difference in the power section you might want to try the SED EL34s to get as "Marshall" sounding. However IIRC Lynch was using a Soldano in the Wicked Sensation Lynch Mob days which were loaded with 5881 unless Lynch had Mike do a EL34 mod which he used to offer, but also EL34s were getting a bit scarce then as well, so they might have been 5881s.

So actually with the 6L6s and Mr. Scary you might be closer.

Yeah I thought about that. Might workout nicely. The Grail might be another module that work well with the RM100KH head.

The KH is just a little bassier. Seems like EQing with the tone controls or outboard would get you there.