RM100m combo or Peavey JSX?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isburgracing

Reaction score
So i have a rm100 head and want to get a combo. I want to keep with the rm stuff but I tried out a Peavey JSX combo last week and I was floored. That amp sounds amazing. OPINIONS please.

depends if you have invested in modded mods....if just stock, then go for the JSX if it seems right for you. That amp has a lot of cool features, but for me I enjoy the in yo face hard rock molten lava of the mts combined with the endless mod options

Idk, I don't have much invested, the JSX is so dark sound and has a lot of balls. That is an awesome sounding combo. But the mts stuff sounds great also...

Here's my opinion: I was faced with the same dilemma, except I didn't even have the head first. The JSX is an amazing amp, but so is the RM100M. The JSX is arguably better for cleans/pedals (incredible onboard reverb, and it's stone-cold-clean; perfect pedal platform, a la KH3 or Clean). Obviously, RM100 takes the cake for distortion, because it CAN sound like anything else. Want it to sound like a JSX? I bet a modder can do it.

Well, I bought a 5150 II. It was one of the biggest waste of money I ever did. I very rarely play it. When I plug it in, yeah, the tone is awesome, but the amp is a one trick pony, and I tire of that trick in a day or two.

So if you like the amp and if you'll use it, go for the JSX. If not, you've got clean modules like the KH1 that can be a great pedal platform, and a lot of other modules.

Idk, I never did like pedal distortion, I always wanted my sound to come from the amp. that's what I like about the rm100 series. The only thing I am worried bout with the jsx is if my midi stuff is compatible with it. I thought bout getting a 6505+ combo but looked at the midi plug ins, and was not to impressed.

isburgracing said:
Idk, I never did like pedal distortion, I always wanted my sound to come from the amp. that's what I like about the rm100 series. The only thing I am worried bout with the jsx is if my midi stuff is compatible with it. I thought bout getting a 6505+ combo but looked at the midi plug ins, and was not to impressed.

I'm the same with pedals. EQ, Wah, Delay, Chorus, etc....fine.
But the best distortion comes from the amp.
That said, the RM 100 is by far the most versatile and for the money is a much better sounding amp to my ears.
The midi thing is no issue for me so I can't figure that into my opinion.

BTW, I had my eye on a 6505 years ago and I was also partial to the 5150 II (there were plenty going around in this area).
Nearly bought a 5150 II but decided to get a new Randall instead.
I had never heard the MTS series (no dealers around here) but word of mouth was, they rocked!
I'm very happy with my RM 100, although I miss reverb sometimes, but it's really not necessary in an average sized club (down right confusing in some bigger clubs) :lol:

I'd buy the RM 100 again over several amps.
The only amps I've personally owned that are better built were Mesa/Boogie (Mk III Simul-Class cpmbo) and a Soldano (Hot Rod 100+ head).
I should have kept the Soldano. (the one that got away, a faceplant for me in gear deals)
The Mk III was getting noisy from 8 years on the road, but it never had enough distortion anyway. I sold it before it could breakdown on me.

I tried a 6506+ out and they would sound cooler if they weren't so fuzzy sounding, to much fuzz on those badboys. Thats why I like the MTS rig.

I've been checking out amps for the last 3 or 4 months including the jsx.I think the rm4 is the better choice.Once I figure out what modes are best for my taste that's what i'm getting.

The JSX probably sounds great, but you can get an MTS module to cover it through one of the many excellent modders out there.

Suppose you choose the JSX and a year from now your tastes in tone have changed - even slightly - and the JSX can't get you there. The MTS can get pretty much any tone you want - without having to trade in your whole rig.

One great thing that people do not really talk about is that it is MUCH easier to ship modules to get them worked on, instead of sending out a whole amp...and can still use your amp with other modules in the mean time.

If you wanted wide variety, absolute customization your three channels or maybe later changing sound - go to MTS
If you like JSX sound, and don?t need all things around - go to JSX.

I like this amp, and my last CD is recorded with JSX (still in progress :)

79965.jpg

you see, I had Diezel VH4 in studio too, but recorded with JSX ;)

And some funny detail from another recording session
229186.jpg

My very old Ultra 60 sounds practically identically with JSX :)
only JSX is a tiny bit smoother and Ultra a bit grainier. In complete mix you have no chance to recognize :)

Hi. I had read this board before making an informed decision of buying a Peavey JSX head and would like to chime in on my opinion as a user of a Randall RM50 head for a couple years.
I realize this is a Randall forum so I imagine that the reviews are going to be pro-Randall overall and I took that into account along with reviews from ultimate-guitar, harmony-central, videos from youtube, etc before even going and playing through a JSX.
I have played my Randall through an Egnater V30 loaded 4x12 cabinet for a couple years and have the Plexi, Ultra, XTC and most recently KH-3 modules. The RM50 with these modules sounds good but not amazing. The one problem that I seem to have with this amp overall is that with any of these modules, it seems that turning up the bass to thicken the sound does not actually thicken the sound, it seems to just add boominess. Don't get me wrong, they all sound pretty good but just do not respond as I would like on the low end. The KH-3 has a nice tight sound but even with the bass cranked on the head and the module, it doesn't thicken up much - maybe because it's designed to be a lead module - I don't know. The Ultra, XTC and Plexi all have more bass but not the bass response I'm looking for.
Wanting a different amp, I went and tried out a Mesa Dual Rectifier since that seems to be what all the pros use. I wasn't all that impressed. I thought the Randall sounded as good. I didn't mess with the EQ on it too much so I'm sure I could have dialed in some better settings on the Dual but with the 5 minutes I played through it, I was not all that impressed. Could be that there is so much hype around Mesa Recs that it just doesn't live up to it.
What I really want is a Diezel VH4 but who has $4000 plus to throw down on an amp? Not me. Anyhow, I went and plugged into a JSX at a local music store and was blown away! The clean channel sounds good, which I really don't care about as I run through the effects loop with a multi-effect pedal for my clean sound. The crunch channel really reminds me of old Van Halen - specifically DOA - without all the effects. Just really thick ballsy distortion. The sound is really thick - it has low end to it. Not boominess from the bass - the bass actually shapes the tone. The ultra channel is a lot like the crunch channel - just more distortion. Ultra channel does a very good imitation of what I would really expect a Mesa Rec to sound like - great for Pantera, Godsmack, etc. I played through this head on stage last night for the 1st time and my buddy who is also a guitar player said that when he walked in the door, before even seeing the stage, he could tell I had a different amp - he said the same thing I thought - much thicker, and richer sound.
I don't know about the JSX combo- but through my 4x12 Egnater cab, the head is awesome. My Randall is now my backup amp. A really good back-up amp that I have had no problems with!

I have played thru the JSX combo and was impressed. Mind you, I play a Randall Rm4 out live with a Rt2/50..its quite a rig...but there was alot to like about the JSX combo. But granted I tested it at a low volume.
And fwiw: I dont mind you being critical here...it brings some balance to the forum, and Im fine with that.
GtrGeorge