RM22 .. first look

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gtr31 said:
FYI, a dealer has posted over a rig-talk that the RM22 is going to start shipping this week...

pretty cool I did not think that they were going to be out till Oct-Nov
I guess we will see

Really? Awesome!

I'm gonna be really interested in the RM22 combo. How much does or will this weigh?

I'm thinking I could unload my Fender HR Deville 212 if this won't weigh that much. I really don't have room for another head and a 112 cab and want a grab and go.

It's not going to be that much softer. To be half as loud as your RM50 it would have to be 5 Watts. To be half as loud as my RM100 it would be 10 W.

No I'm not even thinking about volume. I'm thinking only about weight and ease of transport.

I'm thinking now about getting the RM22 head and an Avatar Contemporary 112 cab in black with a Heritage G12H speaker and selling my 5150 and my Fender HRDv (if Pete can make me a couple modules -- that Humble Overdrive Special and one for a Steel String Singer).

Anyone have any experience with Neodymium magnet speakers? they're about 2 to 3 lbs lighter.

turdwrangler said:
guitarcomet said:
Looks like I bought my RM100 too soon. :lol:

Me too, but I got an RM50. Killer deal though. This'll be good for those of us who need bedroom levels.

Anyone who has ever play and RM20 will tell you that it's not quiet at all...I actually think the RM50 has a better low volume tone/master volume too.

Julia said:
Anyone have any experience with Neodymium magnet speakers? they're about 2 to 3 lbs lighter.

I'vebeen using a Celestion Century Neodynium speaker for about 3 months now. Personally I think they're an excellent speaker. It's the best speaker i've found for tone modelling. I'm not sure if it's me but, when you start increasing the mids it adds a sort of "sheen" to the sound unlike any other speaker i've heard. I like it more than a Vintage 30 and a Greenback that I also have. It's just a nicer sounding speaker than either I think. It's a very satisfying sound, i'm sure it's critical to match it to the right amp though in the same way a Vintage 30 is. It's funny, when you pick up the box it comes in, the first tihng you think is, "where's the speaker?!" It weighs about as much as the box it comes in! Bizarre!!

GtrGeorge! said:
Maybe you guys didnt notice..
I have said before and others (like others in this very thread), the weight would still be a problem.
Of course I wouldnt buy an RM100 and pull 2 tubes..whats the point?..it would still be to heavy! So there is no reason to do the old "Pull the tube trick".
Hence my suggestion that Randall take an aggressive look at speakers that might work well, but with less weight (The neodymium's seem to be doing this for alot people..and this would make it possible to achieve a 3 module 50watt combo at a weight that many players would prefer.)
Weight of the Randalls is a concern for many...
[/i]
Take the weight of a rm50 and the weight of a rm4 subtract a few pounds for the 2 extra modules (and leave u with 4 mod) and you **** near have the same weight. My RM100 shipped by UPS in a double box (factory box inside) was 46 pounds no head shell. Now add the size of a combo shell with 1 or 2 speakers,3 slots,power section of a 50 watter and you have more weight than a RM100. WTF! I have a Mesa Mk III combo less than 19 inches wide (fits inside my rack) with a 12 inch speaker that weighs more than my RM100. It has 1 transformer. Get a 4 space rack, RM4 and a 1 space power amp (like Egnater is building) and a 1x12 rebel cab. Thats as light as your going to get. hell you could custom order a cab for that with one speaker but then ur close to the RM100 again. :?

JKD said:
turdwrangler said:
guitarcomet said:

Me too, but I got an RM50. Killer deal though. This'll be good for those of us who need bedroom levels.

Anyone who has ever play and RM20 will tell you that it's not quiet at all...I actually think the RM50 has a better low volume tone/master volume too.

Really? Seems like it'd be somewhat geared toward bedroom playing. Oh well, still seems cool.

turdwrangler said:
JKD said:
turdwrangler said:
guitarcomet said:

Really? Seems like it'd be somewhat geared toward bedroom playing. Oh well, still seems cool.

I have an RM20 head and its great for bedroom practice. I use the boost knob as a master volume. It compresses things a wee bit even with the boost gain rolled off but sounds awesome otherwise.

I like my RM20 almost more than my RM100.
I guess when I?m going to quit playing metal - if this will ever happen - this is the amp that I will take with me into my grave. :D