RM22 head

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyeddie

Reaction score
Since my RM50 is breaking my back hauling it back and forth from jam sessions I'm seriously considering getting a RM22 head. Not sure if I'll be using it with a 4x12 or a 1x12 so I was wondering if I can get some input. I don't have any grand expectations of an 18 watt head blowing the roof off the joint but I was curious about what an RM22 can do in a jam situation or a small gig without miking the cab and how well the amp works with different cab setups, i.e., 2x12's 1x12's 4x10's , etc. Any input will be greatly appreciated...

I've used my Rm22 for practice with my band quite a bit. I've used a 4x12 and 2x12 with it and it seemed to have plenty of volume. I don't gig with it though as I find it seems to lack a little in your face punch so I've opted for a RM4 with a Mesa 20/20 power amp for live situations.
I find this setup nice and light,has plenty of volume and the sound is kick ***.

Well, hauling a 4x12 would be the real PITA. I have a 20 with a 112 and it gets used on 90% of gigs and practices. Two quick light trips and the whole rig is in and set up (trip one..head and cab in either hand, trip two, pedalboard and guitar).

Even if it's a modest pa, just stick a mic in front of the sucker if you need more balls. It sounds HUGE with a mic. Think about it...do we have 100watt vocalists?

Edit:
Here's a clip of my friend's band. The electric is not the Orange behind him, but actually an rm20 combo down to the left with a 57 on it.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=amQEXU4bJJU

One thing I failed to mention was that I am also a bit leery about leaving my gear at anyone's house but mine (as well as the back breaking RM 50 haul every time.) So in the situation I'm in I would rather leave a 1x12 cab at the jam space and have the same cab at home to practice with (maybe a 2x12.) Hauling an RM22 head then would be nearly the perfect situation. I could run an RM4 with a Mesa 20-20 with a similar cab setup but I would be shelling out well over a grand for new equipment when I can get an RM22 with 2 mods for $700.00. If I had the cash you bet yer *** I would go with the RM4 and Mesa amp but it just isn't so...

I just got an RM20. The amp sounds and works differently tan the RM50. The power tubes become a larger part of the equation. The modules are mainly designed around the RM50 so they don't sound the same in the 20. The amp has the power to keep up, but it doesn't have a lot of clean headroom doing it. If you play high gain, you will not have a problem with the 20.

I bit the bullet. Got me a new RM22 with XTC and Deluxe mods for $699!! Haven't fired it up yet but plan to burn it in Friday night.....

How great it is to get a new amp. Like Xmas. Please let us know what you think of it once you get some time with the rm22. I know the rm50 is a heavy beast, so hopefully the 22 will fit the bill. I would like to get my combo converted to a head.

I hope to fire it up tonight. How does everyone feel about running Ruby tubes with the paper stickers on them? While looking over the amp the tubes freaked me out a bit. When I went to the Ruby Tubes site the tubes already had the labels on them. I've had tubes with paper stickers on the bottom plastic base before but never on the glass part of the tube. Waddya think?

On the glass. I've been playing a long freakin' time and I've never seen a sticker on the glass on the tube...Like I said before I have seen stickers on the plastic base and silk screened paint on the glass, but never stickers....I think I have a pretty good reason for being cautious here. Back in the day when I worked on overhead projectors it was common knowledge that if you touched the bulbs they would prematurely wear due to cooking your greasy fingerprints on the glass. I know pre amp tubes don't quite reach those kinds of temps but power tubes can get pretty hot. Wouldn't you think that a sticker could cause issues especially if a tube overheats?...Maybe I'll start another thread on the subject...

I think if I were to keep my MTS stuff, I'd rather have the 50 head or even the 20 instead of the 100. I have the big power stuff covered already.