RM4 or Egnater M4 ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The build quality really is far superior to the Randall unit, and like someone else said...the customer service is unreal. Every time I've called with a question, I get Bruce on the phone within one minute. The Egnater modules just plain sound better then the Randall stuff...I can't imagine a better rig for my situation, it covers absolutely everything. Once you experience the dual channel thing, there is no going back to the single channel Randall modules...at least not for me.

Ok four customer service but let's talk about SOUND
if I take a Blackface module and put it in both M4/RM4, what difference will I hear?

egnater has there own line of modules. Putting a Randall Blackface into an Egnater M4 will produce a little difference (someone else who has actually owned both amps can give specifics); but you will really notice it when you use Egnater Modules with Egnater Amps.

I can't comment on that, the only module I kept when I sold my Randall stuff was the 1086, and I can't say I ever had the urge to plug it in again after hearing the Egnater stuff. If you're not using the dual channel Egnater modules...then just buy an RM4.

Lonerock-

The single channel Egnater anf the Randall RM4 are identical in design, the only difference would be the build quality. The single channel Egnater is no longer available, I believe the rights/licensing were sold to Randall, hence the identical design. Your only option for single channel "new" is from Randall, used of course you may find an Egnater occasionally for sale. The other opiton is to order the new dual channel M4, but then it's more $$

Modules- I prefer Egnater, but single channel Eggies are not easy to find.
Either way, Randall or Egnater you can't go wrong.

Howard

Sounds cool thanks !

I've noticed that the new egnater M4 has no fx loops anymore...

Well I have a deal for a RM4 chassis...
I'll try first with blackface and GRAIL, well If It sounds great, maybe the XTC and SL+ will follow.

Is there any significant difference between the two? besides name plate and not having speaker emulator?

Quality of build and components would be the major difference. Niether have speaker emulation. Randall cabs have that.

That said. A Randall RM4 with Egnater single channel modules is going to sound really good!

I started out with the Egnater equipment and have never owned the Randall equipment. But I think there is a huge difference in the way they sound. I think it is the components. The cheaper construction means that values of electronic components could be a little more or less than as rated, and the result can be really audible, especially if it is a capacitor in the tone stack that is just a little off.

I tried the Mesa 50/50 with the Egnater M4 and I did not think it was a good match. It has an extra preamp section that oversaturates the signal coming from the M4. The Mesa is designed to work with a different kind of preamp that has a much lower gain signal coming out of it. So the clean Egnater modules were OK through the Mesa power amp, but the high gain modules did not perform well with the Mesa power amp. I saw Frank and Bruce use the VHT in the shop. But at the NAMM they put the M4 through the power section of a Mod 50, which is what I was doing already, and it is what I still do. I've never used the Randall power amp or the VHT, so I can't speak to the results from personal experience of using those power amps.