RM4 Poweramp: Rocktron V300 vs Engl-840/Randall RT2-50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katash

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I am currently using a Rocktron Velocity 300 with my RM4 and used a Marshall EL84 20/20 before that. Liked both and am more or less happy right now.

BUT

I'm a perfectionist regarding tone and now think of upgrading my poweramp to achieve a even better tone.

Can anyone of you compare two of the mentioned or even all 3?
I'm glad for every comparison and feedback you can give me!

And please don't evolve into the usual tube vs. solid state discussion!

Thanks to all ;)

Come on guys..... someone must have some experience to share!

Let's say a 6L6GC poweramp (engl, some peavey classic) vs the RT2-50?

I don't have a lot of direct experience with the power amps you have listed. I think that since you are located in Germany it will probably be a lot cheaper, and easier to find an ENGL, but I have used solid state power amps in the past, and I have been happy with it.

I have owned a Peavey Classic 50/50 in the past, but that is EL84s. It is OK, but nothing special. I would try to find an ENGL in a music store so that you can compare it to what you have right now.

my 2 cents worth

I use my RM4 with both SS and tube (tube is the power section
of my Splawn Modded JCM800 & SS is a Marshall MG100HDFX)

Thru the right Cab (B52 4x12) both SS & Tube sound :D

Thru the wrong cab (stock marshall MG412B) both SS & Tube
sound :cry:

I have only used my rm4 with a peavey power amp (the "fifty fifty" I believe..it was a long time ago) and a Marshall SS 8008 power amp.
among those...the rt 2/50 was much,much better,

I d love to hear the Rocktron but no store has one for me to hear with my rm4.

GtrGeorge

I like my Velocity 300. It produces a great tone live. Plenty of power to move some air. I definately like it better than the Peavey 50/50 I used originally with my RM4. Compared to other poweramps I could not say as these are the only 2 rack units I have used & I'm not a proponent of running rack preamps through the power sections of amp heads. Seems to defeat the purpose in my mind.

Well, like Julia and others have posted, unless you are driving your power tubes hard enough to get tube breakup, there really shouldn't be a huge perceivable difference. Let's face it, unless you are cranking it up at a stadium show, the sound guy is going to tell you to turn it down. LOL. The best sounding tube power amps produce clean sound and good headroom. You got to have tubes in your preamp, but power is a different animal. The Rocktron Velocity300 looks like a good choice for an RM4.

While I do agree to a point differences are subtle between tubes and SS for power sections until you hit higher volumes. I will say the RT 2/50 with a set of 6L6s and EL34s in switching mode will produce two radically different tones and feelings with the same module. I would by all means consider an RT2/50 an upgrade to your system!

Rt2/50 is amazing, expecially if you have a couple cabs with diff speakers. Switching power tubes and cabs with the modules means extreme versatility, super amazing tone

So far, I had good experiences using a Marshall 9200, a Rivera TBR Hammer 320. Also the Return of Diezel Hagen gave me amazing results - it was straight a lot better than a Boogie 2:90.

fuzzboat said:
my 2 cents worth

I use my RM4 with both SS and tube (tube is the power section
of my Splawn Modded JCM800 & SS is a Marshall MG100HDFX)

Thru the right Cab (B52 4x12) both SS & Tube sound :D

Thru the wrong cab (stock marshall MG412B) both SS & Tube
sound :cry:

I would tend to agree with this. Please don't overlook the huge impact that your speakers/cabinet can have on your sound!

Yeah I'm definitly not overlooking this (3 different cabs, 5 different speakers I tried, 3 that I settled on).

Well if you're settled on cabs/speaker I think you'd be best just trying whatever's available to you and like always, stick with what feels/sounds Right for you. Best of luck in your search!

I tried several poweramps when I had my RM4 rig going, from the Velocity 300 (new version) to a Peavey Classic 50/50 and eventually ended up with an RT2/50, where my searching stopped, because it was such a great fit for the RM4. I'd strongly recommend going that route, or even a VHT 2/50/2 or 2/90/2, as I've heard nothing but positive reviews about those also.

While I do agree to a point differences are subtle between tubes and SS for power sections until you hit higher volumes
less impactful at lower volumes, but still makes a difference... unless you're only playing at tv volume

Also, hopefully Egnater will release a rackmount power amp with the continuation of the modular line later this year...!!