RM4 slaving ?? Please help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9blek

Reaction score
So i'm hearing I can run an RM4 through the effects loop of amps I already have ... how does that work and does it sound the same? Why doesn't everyone just do it that way? I appreciate any help i can get on this subject. Thanks in advance.

k9blek said:
So i'm hearing I can run an RM4 through the effects loop of amps I already have ... how does that work

Have an instrument cable running from one of the RM4 post loop outs to the FX return on the amp

k9blek said:
and does it sound the same?

I don't understand this part. The same as what?

k9blek said:
Why doesn't everyone just do it that way?

To me, it seems wasteful to only be using the power section of an amp head. You can also get better quality power sections and often with more controls such as resonance (low end) and presence (high end) with a good dedicated power amp.

And why did you start a new thread? It makes it more difficult for us to help you if you scatter your questions over various threads.

I was told to move my thread here cause it was in the wrong spot. So I moved it. As far as my question. I just really didn't understand how it worked to slave the rm4 and if it affected the sound at all running it through the effects loop of a regular amp (if i have that part right). I'm in a situation where I recently had back surgery and the thought of carrying an RM4 / power amp around to gigs didn't seem great. However carrying my RM22 or Blackstar Ht-20 isn't bad. So, with that in mind I was curious about running the RM4 with one of those rather than carrying an RM4/power amp in a case together or even separate. Thanks for the help.

I have used an RM4 to the return on a RM22 with excellent results. I also have Marshall and Mesa power amps and each gives a different character, but none is clearly better, just different. The problem I have is getting a consistent level to feed my FX like in the studio - where the master volume does not change the FX amount.

The beauty about rack units is that you can seperate the units if you want. A seperate rack case with a poweramp might be the solution. Also: a 100 (or 50/50) watt poweramp is heavy, but why not try out a Mesa 20/20?
That will essentially give you the same setup, but more compact and light and more power.

I don't know how strong your back is... but a 1U 20/20 poweramp shouldn't add much to a rack's weight. Otherwise: 2 racks ;)

I used to have my RM4 and RT2/50 in one 6u rack ... that was killing my back, so the RT2/50 is in a 2u and the 6u only has the RM4, (light) effects units and a power conditioner.

interesting ... so the only connection is running the out on the RM4 into the return of the rm22 ... so you have 6 module choices? And, if i understand you right ... the effects levels are different between the 22 and the 4 ?

Yes that's the only connection.

Guitar > RM4 > return on RM22

This gives me 4 modules choices (RM4 only). Off the top of my head the easiest way to get 6 modules would be:

Guitar > Y-split to RM4 & RM22 inputs > AB input switch > return

The problem I am having with the FX is that the RM4 master volume is before the FX send, so when I turn up the master (for the gig compared to practice) the FX send now overdrives the FX unit. In my opinion, the master volume should be after the FX return and wouldn't cause this problem.