RM50, what other equipment to get??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugo

Reaction score
I don't know the purpose of the other equipment that can go with the RM50? Do you get another preamp unit by itself or a cabinet on top of the one speaker that comes with the RM50? Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm not sure how amps really work and how you can build off of the RM50 rig?? Thanks for being so patient with a noob!! :oops:

Hugo :shock:

A good speaker cabinet? ;)

I saw what you were aiming for (blues, SRV sound) and the Tweed is a great start as someone else said......but IMO the another essential part of a rig is a boost or overdrive pedal, like a Tubescreamer (TS) or a clone.

I have several but I tend to play metal, so my advice might not be best for you on which one to get.

There's a TS9 and OD808 .. Ibanez and Maxxon I think.

I have a Keeey modded SD-1 which sounds great but definately edgier tone.

BBE Green Screamer is a great TS clone. I have one of these, it's like a TS that doesn't rob your signal of low end.....

Although not a traditional TS clone The Xotic BB Preamp seems to be well loved and can go from clean boost to gainier sounds and has Bass and Treble controls.

If you want to play with more than two pre-amp modules, you can get an RM4, M4, or M2 (or whatever its called). They are rack mounted pre-amps for using Randall and Egnater modules. *ONLY* the M4 and M2 can use both channels of the Egnater modules.

If you take that route, you will need some signal switching gear. The Voodoo Labs GCX (rackmount) or any 2+ loop foot switcher will work to switch between the RM50 and pre-amp. The Axxess GRX4 is pretty popular around here. If you want to get fancy-schmancy and blend pre-amps, then you'll need something like a Switchblade.

As long as they are wired and hooked up to your amp correctly you can never have too many speaker cabs. Your neighbors will disagree with me on this one.

Then there's your f/x. Almost too many choices here. The TC Electronics G-Major is great for parallel f/x (del, rev, chor). I don't like it for serial f/x because I think it sucks too much tone. You can also go the pedal route and get a different pedal for each effect. Or get something heavy duty like a Digitech GSP1101.

It's all in what you want out of your rig.

Thomas

I like the GT-8 for effects using the 4cord method but I like less than more when it comes to effects. Its doesn't suck tone as long as it is setup correctly but the GT-8 has a huge learning curve and isn't user friendly when it comes to programming. Its not plug and play so unless you are a tweak freak you might try something else first.

a good speaker cab is a must ... i prefer v30's as the speaker inside that cab ( randall mts or even the XL cab's rock ) :twisted: