RM50HB Volume vs. RM100M

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretwire

Reaction score
Hi there - newbie here so be gentle!

I'm looking at getting the RM50HB as a back-up for my main amp - but I'm wondering if it will be loud enough - I'll be running it through a 16ohm Bogner 212 cab. Is it loud enough to compete with the drummer in the backline or will the RM100 be a better choice?

Thanks!

there really isn't a MAJOR volume difference between 100 watts and 50 watts. To answer your question, yes 50 watts is loud enough to compete with a drummer.

However, what style of music do you play?

Thanks ABomb,
I play in a shamefully 70s/80s rock band (www.evolution-rocks.co.uk) - Van Halen, Whitesnake - all the usual suspects, also in a fusion band. Main amp is an Engl PowerBall.

I was just concerned that the 50w head might not be enough to drive a 16ohm cab to gig volume - but I dig the volume boost function on the RM50.

An amp that is half the power of another amp is NOT half as loud, its only 3dB less loud which is not that much, but could be enough that you may miss it. However, you can bump up the power of an RM50(B or HB) to 80 watts by switching your power tubes to either KT88 or 6550 and that would give you a little closer to the rm100

Ok, after a long deliberation of several whole hours ( :D ), I've ordere a RM100M and 3 modules, should arrive Thursday and it'll probably get used at our gigs this weekend. Looking forward to getting involved in the forum.
Cheers!

Cheers! Actually the amp and modules just turned up - a day earlier than expected - so I'll give it a blast tonight. :twisted:

Let us know what you think of the modules. I got my RM100 rig for a week now , but still waiting for my modules. :evil: Congrats on the rig, i love mine so far.
T.