RT2/50 volume faded then tubes went dark...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Reaction score
Yesterday I was playing through my RT2/50 and at some point the volume dropped out. I was playing wireless and thought maybe a battery had died. As I went to check my wireless transmitter, the volume faded back in slowly....I'd say it took maybe 5 to 10 seconds. Then all was fine for the rest of the evening. I wrote it off as a fluke incident and possible bad cable I need to keep an eye out for.

Today, I was playing and all was fine for an hour or so. Then the volume faded to silence. That also took about 5 to 10 seconds.

I started troubleshooting checking guitar, cables, wireless, etc. Ended up narrowing it down to the RT2/50.

Took a closer look and none of the tubes are lighting up. The fan and front panel lights work like normal. I can switch between channels okay. There were never any pops, smoke, or anything. It just faded to silence.

Before I go further, any thoughts?

Update: Pulled top cover to see if the internal fuses look okay. They look fine from what I can tell. While the cover was still off, decided to turn it on to see if it would work. Tubes lit up, took it out of standby and....it is working like there is nothing wrong. Have been playing through it for about 10 minutes now.

Plot has thickened as this is clearly an intermittent issue.

After typing that last post, I picked up my guitar to resume playing...

Tubes are once again dark and no volume. This is crazy.

I just had this same issue yesterday and today with my RM1250.

I'll play... Volume fades to nothing, switch to standby and then switch back on and it's fine for about 10 minutes till it happens again.

:(

I've continued to monitor it. It is totally erratic.

After my last post Thursday evening, it started working again and worked flawless for an hour or two.

Yesterday, I played it two different times. 30 minutes in one sitting. An hour or so in another. It worked flawlessly both times.

Today, it worked for five minutes, went dead, then came back for a few more minutes, then went out again, so I finished practicing through another amp.

Very weird.

You may have something as simple as a defective power switch. Also, check all the blade connectors, one at a time from the power supply board to the other boards. Check the connections on the power and standby switches.

kc2eeb said:
Also, check all the blade connectors, one at a time from the power supply board to the other boards. Check the connections on the power and standby switches.

I did this and nothing really seemed loose or to pop in place when I pushed on the connectors.

BUT.....I've gone back to using my RT2/50 for a couple days and it is working great. No problems. Keeping fingers crossed that something simply was just loose and is now back in place.