Salvation LoneClean-Unbelievable Versatility

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one do you prefer?

• Module 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Module 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I own a Loneclean and Its really very good for what I do..but I will say this..just like a REAL Lonestar amp..but fwiw:there is always just a hint of distortion in the signal...even when very clean. It is THE sound of a MesaLonestar..if you have really good ears you can hear it,even when you are as brittle clean as you can dial in.
So,in some ways its doesnt surpize me that the module does great dirt..it really has that gain structure to deliver it, if you make it do that.
good stuff..
I like when we are challenged to think about these things..
GtrGeorge

I'm actually disappointed. I don't like 'clean' channels to be able to do dirty (much)....

wake..
do you own a Loneclean?

What Im saying is that there is a microscopic amount of dirt on the Lonestar sound. Barely noticeable. I bet 99% of players never notice it. For all intents. its very very clean.
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
wake..
do you own a Loneclean?

What Im saying is that there is a microscopic amount of dirt on the Lonestar sound. Barely noticeable. I bet 99% of players never notice it. For all intents. its very very clean.
GtrGeorge

No I don't own one, I was referring to the author's that posted clips that was playing doom metal with Lone Clean.

But I do very much like there to be some 'characteristic' dirt on a clean channel, I just don't want to have heavy gain on one, even if it's optional (hey that's what gainy modules are for). Just my opinion btw.

That's bizarre o.o And I LOVE IT! It really emphasizes what the MTS line is all about: Versatility! Clean mods that can do high gain tones, high gain mods that can do great cleans, crunch tones that hit the whole spectrum.. And they can all do it while retaining their basic characteristics!

By the way, I like your knife :D

wakeguitar said:
GtrGeorge! said:
wake..
do you own a Loneclean?

GtrGeorge

No I don't own one, I was referring to the author's that posted clips that was playing doom metal with Lone Clean.

But I do very much like there to be some 'characteristic' dirt on a clean channel, I just don't want to have heavy gain on one, even if it's optional (hey that's what gainy modules are for). Just my opinion btw.
Why would you not want that? The Pushed channel on my Twinface gets regular recording use, even I don't use it live.
It's not detrimental to the clean in any way.. it's switchable, switch it off and there's no gain..

You can coax heavy gain out of almost any circuit ... this says nothing about the clean sound.
It's like saying I don't want any low gain sounds on my high gain modules.. it doesn't matter.

Shinozoku said:
That's bizarre o.o And I LOVE IT! It really emphasizes what the MTS line is all about: Versatility! Clean mods that can do high gain tones, high gain mods that can do great cleans, crunch tones that hit the whole spectrum.. And they can all do it while retaining their basic characteristics!

By the way, I like your knife :D
ha..thanks...that knife is one of many :wink:

I really like the JF Recto and the Gigmods 1087, but the hi gain setting on the Loneclean leaves them both in the dust imo. It just sounds so much more aggressive and articulate. Pinch harmonics come out almost effortlessly. Then the cleans (warm or cold) sound amazing. Still trying to find the right 'warm/mellow' tone for chord progessions....but single note arpeggio stuff and solos sound great. Again...the only thing this module needs is an OD for solos. Oh, and also a really nice spring reverb for the cleans...but that isn't going to be for a while b/c i don't have $500 for a really nice unit.

I'm going out to my local guitar shop today to see if i can get any equipment for home recording...nothing fancy...just something simple so i can record. I already have Audacity....i just need the right equipment to record with it. I have a mic...i think i just need a cable to go b/t that and my laptop. But once i get it settled...i will put up some better clips on all of my modules (except the 1087 which is out of commission at the moment :cry: )

Okay I had a little experiment of my own. :D
Here's the Salvation Mods Twinface, full gain, m0jo on, Pushed mode.

- Clip -

Just a quicky, yes my timing here is crap and it gets very messy at places ;)
I didn't do anything to it, so it's a bit sharp as well here, it isn't in real life :)

m0jo said:
Okay I had a little experiment of my own. :D
Here's the Salvation Mods Twinface, full gain, m0jo on, Pushed mode.

- Clip -

Just a quicky, yes my timing here is crap and it gets very messy at places ;)
I didn't do anything to it, so it's a bit sharp as well here, it isn't in real life :)
sounds great! i think it is great that some of these clean mods can get some good distorted tones. again...i prefer the hi gain tones from my loneclean to that of my other dedicated hi gain modules. The JF Recto i have is great, but the loneclean has something that makes it stand out.

I am hopefully going to get a custom OD from someone i know on another forum and i'll experiment a little bit with that. need to decide if i want to throw in the extra money and have him make it tube driven or keep it solid state. either way it is handmade and he uses the best parts. i'll let you guys know what the verdict is, but it won't be for another month or so. he is trying to start up a pedal business and i figured i could support him instead of going for one of the big name brands.

but for the next couple months i may be using the clean mode a lot more as i am joining the string orchestra at my school. it will be a little slow for me b/c i am not too knowledgeable on music theory and i don't read notation as well as i used to. i played clarinet in high school so i know how to...but i'm so used to tabs it will be hard to make the transition. but i'm happy that i will be able to continue music in college even though i am majoring in mechanical engineering. i loved high school band but i had to quit after two years b/c i was taking rigorous college classes on top of my high school classes. so it will be great to be part of a group like that again. hopefully i can eventually join the jazz ensemble! :D i am very excited. orientation was this week and classes start next week. only thing i'm not thrilled about is waking up at 8 a.m for classes on most mornings. :( the worst part about that is i have been in summer mode for the past couple months and am used to waking up at 11 a.m. but other than that...college will be fun :D.

Thanks man!

Yeah I get your drift, I think it's in the EQ, it makes the sound very aggressive ;)
I don't prefer it though ;) not for everything anyway, but it's a good tone to have :)

I'd not recommend tubes in a pedal unless they're powered with their proper voltage!
This is because running a tube at 9v makes the tube completely useless tonally, it's like biasing your power tubes way too cold.
Then you might as well have germanium transistors ;)

m0jo said:
Thanks man!

Yeah I get your drift, I think it's in the EQ, it makes the sound very aggressive ;)
I don't prefer it though ;) not for everything anyway, but it's a good tone to have :)

I'd not recommend tubes in a pedal unless they're powered with their proper voltage!
This is because running a tube at 9v makes the tube completely useless tonally, it's like biasing your power tubes way too cold.
Then you might as well have germanium transistors ;)
ya that is what the guy was talking about with using tubes. he went through all the pros and cons of both solid state and tubes. and with tubes i was figuring trying just a preamp tube like in the Maxon ROD880. Never tried it though and can't b/c it isn't really available around here...but i thought it would be interesting to try. i will probably stick with solid state.

starved tube theory...
Its controversial..but fwiw...small tubes on low voltages can produce some good tones. But its rare, imho, because very few people really know what they are doing with starved tubes and analog tone.
Eric Johnson and many others have used tubes in pedals and I think for some it works, although you really have to judge for yourself anytime someone is really doing something strange (like starved tubes).
GtrGeorge