Salvation Mamba vs. Framus Cobra (Video)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfshockey

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNgf8JswiKU

Well this is my first MTS video and it sucks (I know) but it is something! There is a weird buzz in the video I couldn't get rid of, it was recorded on the mic of my MacBook and I suck at playing so please don't remind me of this stuff!

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard (2004)
Cab: Mesa 4x12 w/ Celestion V30's
Head: Randall RM100 & Framus Cobra

Randall RM100
rm100.jpg

Salvation Mamba Settings
mambag.jpg

Framus Settings
cobrany.jpg

Yes! I remember you talking about this shootout a long time ago, but the Cobra went into the shop.

The Framus seems to have more presence and gain. I see you set the control very similar, but I wonder if you dialed with your ears if you could even closer with the Mamba? I usually spin that gain up to 1 oclock and mids a little less around 11-12 oclock.
Is that punch engaged (down)? I always like it better off for rhythms, interesting to see how others dial

Thanks for the clips!

crankyrayhanky said:
Yes! I remember you talking about this shootout a long time ago, but the mamba went into the shop.

The Framus seems to have more presence and gain. I see you set the control very similar, but I wonder if you dialed with your ears if you could even closer with the Mamba? I usually spin that gain up to 1 oclock and mids a little less around 11-12 oclock.
Is that punch engaged (down)? I always like it better off for rhythms, interesting to see how others dial

Thanks for the clips!

It was a long time coming for this. My Framus Cobra was in the shop for about 4 months and I finally had some time with both amps to do this video.

I could try different variations of settings depending on what anyone wants to hear. Each offer different types of settings which vary the tone quite a bit, I just went for a quick comparison. The Mamba is amazing at lower and higher volumes but when it comes to a loud, live setting, the Cobra takes the edge. I love both and if anyone wants a closer look at anything, let me know and I'll shoot a video doing what I can!

Thanks for checking it out, Ray!

I actually like the module better...sounds tighter,more focused and the single notes sound fuller...Anthony did a good job of getting that Framus OD..I couold see where you could get the module to sound alot like th head though...

Wow...Been waiting for this and am so glad you posted it...The tone is very close and obviously can be tweaked for an almost perfect match with some EQ and boost...

Rumor has it there's a MAMBA in the classifieds now.... :wink:

Mamba sounds really good...I miss my Mesa cab, sounded just right with the v30s

I'd like to hear Shockey talk more about how he views the 2 side by side.
It would also be interesting if you could put the mamba into the power section of the Framus to see how much closer they can get- (although I'm sure Salvo tweaked the mamba with the rm amps)

crankyrayhanky said:
It would also be interesting if you could put the mamba into the power section of the Framus to see how much closer they can get- (although I'm sure Salvo tweaked the mamba with the rm amps)

The difference in the sound of the recording was the presence control.

The Mamba was quite a bit "darker" than the Framus. The overall tone was the same but the Framus sounded as if the presence was considerably higher than on the Randall.

I'm fairly certain that both amps could be matched within 2% of each other, if not closer.

Mike P said:
crankyrayhanky said:

The difference in the sound of the recording was the presence control.

The Mamba was quite a bit "darker" than the Framus. The overall tone was the same but the Framus sounded as if the presence was considerably higher than on the Randall.

I'm fairly certain that both amps could be matched within 2% of each other, if not closer.
I agree. I think setting the Density closer to noon on the Randall would probably bring it to the correct range.

Was the mamba loaded with JJ preamp tubes, by any chance?

Though I just flipped back and forth between the same sections of the comparison on the video and I don't think I can tell the difference aside from greater clarity on the Randall :lol:

Great clip showing the two of those side by side. Pretty cool how great the mts line really is (when properly modified). I got a Bogner Fish (the real deal) in and have been spending some time with it recently. It's much more difficult to dial in than mts and I'm not sure I'm liking it any better (I'm actually liking it worse). It's looking like that piece is going to get flipped shortly after Memorial Day.

So far everytime I stray away from mts I'm disappointed. I really hope my Voodoo V-Rock doesn't treat me that way. I have REALLY high hopes for that head.

Mattfig said:
There's a Mamba in the classifieds right now! OMG :shock:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12888

Shameless plug, Mr. Fig. I'm embarrassed for you. :oops:

In other news there are a ton of great modified modules available in the classifieds right now! :shock: One stop shopping, pick up a bunch of tones all at once to fill in that "Tone Library."

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12911

:lol:

drewiv said:
Great clip showing the two of those side by side. Pretty cool how great the mts line really is (when properly modified). I got a Bogner Fish (the real deal) in and have been spending some time with it recently. It's much more difficult to dial in than mts and I'm not sure I'm liking it any better (I'm actually liking it worse). It's looking like that piece is going to get flipped shortly after Memorial Day.

So far everytime I stray away from mts I'm disappointed. I really hope my Voodoo V-Rock doesn't treat me that way. I have REALLY high hopes for that head.

Mattfig said:
There's a Mamba in the classifieds right now! OMG :shock:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12888

Shameless plug, Mr. Fig. I'm embarrassed for you. :oops:

In other news there are a ton of great modified modules available in the classifieds right now! :shock: One stop shopping, pick up a bunch of tones all at once to fill in that "Tone Library."

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=12911

Wow, are we pathetic or what Drew?

You are releasing quite a lot of modules...Did you finally get that Pignose Amp you've been searching for? The 10 watt beast! I'm guessing so if you're selling so many great mods... :lol:

Mattfig said:
Wow, are we pathetic or what Drew?

You are releasing quite a lot of modules...Did you finally get that Pignose Amp you've been searching for? The 10 watt beast! I'm guessing so if you're selling so many great mods... :lol:

I've wanted to comment on mfs' contribution to the board (again, well done) and I couldn't resist taking a shot at you - as well as shamelessly plug my ad as well. :wink:

Anyway, like I said I bought a Fish, the coveted real deal. So far, still prefering my SG and Salvation versions better. I'm seriously considering removing my classified ad and selling the Bogner Fish to fund my latest "must have" piece of gear. If I don't bond with the Fish by Tuesday, I'm pretty sure that will be the way I go.

I'm still an mts believer.

drewiv said:
Anyway, like I said I bought a Fish, the coveted real deal. So far, still prefering my SG and Salvation versions better.

Do you have both the Salvation and the Sacred Groove version of the Bogner Fish? How do they differ, if at all? Thanks!

Mike P said:
drewiv said:
Anyway, like I said I bought a Fish, the coveted real deal. So far, still prefering my SG and Salvation versions better.

Do you have both the Salvation and the Sacred Groove version of the Bogner Fish? How do they differ, if at all? Thanks!

I do have both. I'm being asked by the Clip King to tell him the difference. Geez, I want to crawl in my shell... :oops: