SL+, JF Brahma, JF Mr Scary. Very quick tone comparison

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
I am hoping to pickup a Q3 soon so that I can do some vids but the spoken word will have to do for now.

I had a newer SL+ land yesterday and spend a few minutes A/B/C'ing these 3 modules. All sound great and pretty similar.

The JF modules both sounded bigger/more full than the SL+ but I did not find the SL lacking in any way it was just missing some frequency that the modded units had.

Gain. Overall I would rank them SL+, JF Brahma, JF Mr Scary in low to high on the gain scale. The SL+ has plenty of gain but with the gain boost pulled on the Brahma, it has as much gain at noon as the SL+ at 3:00.

Versatility. The JF Brahma is sitting at the top of this list far above the other two with the Scary in second. The only option that I have on the Brahma is the gain boost but I can cover a ludicrous amount of ground with this one module. All of them take an outboard boost very well also. I have a mid voicing switch on the Scary but I almost never use it. It's not a drastic difference anyway.

Rank. JF Brahma, JF Scary, SL+. With that being said, I could live with the stock SL+ and be completely happy. I don't know if I need 3 Marshall mods but they sure are fun to have around.

Goldfish said:
Interesting, JF must have added quite a bit of gain to the stock Brahma if it ends up above the SL+ gain-wise.

When the gain knob is in on the JF Brahma it's just the stock sound with the warmth and clarity tweaks. Pull it and I am real close to Mr Scary territory minus a touch of compression. My modded Brahma is the benchmark for all other modules that I have tried. I actually want a second one so that I can run two. One set for mid gain and the other set to kill.

Glad to hear you are pleased. I actually have a few guys with 2 Brahma's just as you described for that same purpose.

Spent a little more time tone testing last night and I really like the SL+.

I thought I would share my settings. Signal is routed like this: LP or SoCal-->RP1000 (4cm) with Tone Press-->CC TOD in stomp loop-->RM100KH-->TM 2X12 with E80 and ET65 loaded up.

I keep the presence at noon and the density at 9:00. For rhythm, I don't use any effects except for maybe some reverb on occasion. I will kick in the stomp loop to get heavier tones. For leads, I have a patch that kicks in the stomp loop, slight volume boost, and a touch of delay.

SL+
Bright switch off
Gain - noon to 2:00
Bass - noon
Mids - 3:00 to 4:00
Treb - noon

JF Brahma
Bright switch on
Gain - boost off 3:00 / boost pulled noon
Bass - 10:30
Mids - 3:00
Treb - noon

JF Mr Scary
Bright switch on
Gain - noon
Bass - noon
Mids - 3:00
Treb - noon

Can you tell that I am a Marshall guy? 3 similar flavors of Marshall tone and I am happy with that. I would like to try a Grail with an orange switch. I need to find buyers for my KH2 and KH3 first though.