SO, how many modules do you own?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
How many?

And which ones?

Egnater or Randall?

which are your favorites?

Which ones are modded?

:D

Me? none right now, but in the next week I'm hoping to have a whole new RM set-up.... Just thought I'd see what everyones thoughts are.

Randall (in order of favorite, I'm kind of a high gain rhythm nut!):

Grail - modded 500pf c3 to 1000pf
JTM
Mr Scary
Ultra - modded c3 to 1000pf from 2200pf
Super V
Blackface
Modern - modded c3, dunno value, probably 1000pf
Ultra Lead

Owned:

Recto (x3 including Pete's deluxe modded) - always c3 modded
SL+ (x2 including Pete's deluxe modded)
Plexi
Top Boost (x2)
XTC (x2 including Pete's deluxe modded)
UltraXL
Tweed

Inbound, M4 Dual with

Erect Dual
UXL Dual
EG3/4 Dual

Want to try:
COD
Brahma
EG5
SL2
Vx

Juggernaut said:
How many?
And which ones?
Egnater or Randall?
which are your favorites?
Which ones are modded?

:D

Me? none right now, but in the next week I'm hoping to have a whole new RM set-up.... Just thought I'd see what everyones thoughts are.

I have 20 Randall modules and 4 Egnater dual channel modules.
Basically, I have all of the Randall modules except the Kirk Hammett modules. I'm using two Egnater M4's and uh, your old RM100 :)

All of my clean(er) modules have the mod to help alleviate the clipping when using hotter pickups...There might be one or two others that are modded, but I've bought/sold/traded so many over the years that I can't remember which.

Egnater modules are typically better tonally.
I use the ERECT as my main high gain module for more modern high gain.
I have been using my Mr. Scary as my hot rodded Marshally tone.
I've got my SL+ set for medium gain and it's great at that.
I'd have to say that my absolute favorite module right now though is the 'Super V'. It's awesome. I'm trying to raise some funds for an Egnater VX, which I suspect will quickly become my next favorite since it's similar, but better than the Super V.

This is the rack setup I'm using right now.
http://www.americanhc.us/rack4.jpg

Well, lets see - since I think this is the greatest system ever designed - and I plan on taking advantage of it to its fullest. As of right now I have the following mods:

Randall Unmodded:

Tweed
Deluxe
JTM
PLEXI (x2)
SL+ (X2)
Brown (x2)
Modern
Recto
Clean (x2)
Ultra (x2)
Ultra Lead
Ultra XL
XTC
Mr. Scary
Grail
Brahma
Super V

Randall Modded:

Ultra Lead (Pete mod)
Recto (Pete mod)
SL+ (Pete mod - on its way)
JTM (Pete mod - on its way)
Modern (Pete mod - when it is finished)

Egnater single:

BMAN
TWIN
DLX
JTM45
SL
SL++
EG3
VX
VX+
erect
EG4
TV

I also had the following Dual mods:

Bman (had 2)
T/V
SL
SL2
EG3/4
Erect (had 2)
MHG
UXL
XTC

And I am still actively seeking the ones I don't have (Randall blackface, topboost - the new KH mods and Egnater single High gain,EG1, EG2, SL+, Plexi). In time I will also order a few of the new Egnater single's as I'm really interested in the COD and EG5.

My fav's are Randall - Grail, Brahma, Modern, Clean (I guess I'm one of the few, but I really dig Queensryche Mindcrime/Empire type cleans and can get that out of that one), the JTM, and the Brown. In the Egnaters I really like the Twin, JTM45,Erect and VX+. I use them in different bands (one rootsy indy/rock female fronted band, and a hard rock outfit). I may also be joining a metal band, and really dig the fact that I only have to change mods or power tubes to suit any situation that pops up (of course switch cabs to suit the tone I'm looking for). Don't get me wrong their all good just some work better for the situations I'm in now, so I don't want to get rid of any I may use in the future (unless I have two or three of them - as I have had in the past). Now if I could just find someplace that had the module bags in stock I would be a happy camper.

Top Boost
Blackface
Tweed
SL+
Brown
Ultra
PLEXI fav
Recto fav
XTC fav

I like them all and look at the modules just like I look at microphones: You can never have too many.

Chris

Current modules:

Brown (Turley VH mod) use for classic rock tones
Deluxe ? Favorite clean, blues, classic tones
SuperV ? use for clean and classic rock tones
Brahma (Turley bass, gain and clarity mod) ? use for blues, classic rock tones ? heavy tones with BB pedal
MrScary - Favorite lead mod
Grail ? alternate heavy rhythm and lead mod
SL+ (Turley mod) ? Favorite heavy rhythm mod

I load the Deluxe, Scary and SL+ mod into my Lynchbox and the other 4 in an RM4 and power it with the Lynchbox power section. I use the Randall footswitches to select modules and a Radial Tonebone JX2 Switchbone to switch between the RM4 modules and the Lynchbox loaded modules? 7 modules available at any one time.

Used to own:

I liked these other mods but they just were not getting the use the other mods were getting:

XTC
Tweed
Blackface

Caine said:
I load the Deluxe, Scary and SL+ mod into my Lynchbox and the other 4 in an RM4 and power it with the Lynchbox power section. I use the Randall footswitches to select modules and a Radial Tonebone JX2 Switchbone to switch between the RM4 modules and the Lynchbox loaded modules? 7 modules available at any one time.

FREAKING AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!

I'm doing it!!!!!

Lynch Box, and M4........Here I come!!!!!!

Caine said:

How do you switch the inputs and the signal going into the loop at the same time?

A/B switch should work.....right?

Guitar ---> a/b ---> RM100 ---> Cab
.......................---> RM4 ---> RM100 Fx-in

should work.....right? Just switch the input and then use the Randall footswitches to switch the modules/channels.

hmm......

Juggernaut said:
A/B switch should work.....right?

Guitar ---> a/b ---> RM100 ---> Cab
.......................---> RM4 ---> RM100 Fx-in

should work.....right? Just switch the input and then use the Randall footswitches to switch the modules/channels.

hmm......

Doesn't plugging something into the fx return (serial) disconnect the onboard pre-amp of the RM100?

I tried it today with my M4 / RM50HB but wasn't playing that close attention....maybe should use parallel loop?

Juggernaut said:
so what are you waiting for? go try it and report back.... :D

Works with parallel loop RETURN..:D

I suppose technically you could mix tones with an AB/Y set to Y mode but I bet it wouldn't sound good.

JKD said:
Juggernaut said:
so what are you waiting for? go try it and report back.... :D

Works with parallel loop RETURN..:D

I suppose technically you could mix tones with an AB/Y set to Y mode but I bet it wouldn't sound good.

I was thinking of a clean and dirty mix. Might not get used much, but could be cool and effective.

I have another pre. I'm going to try it.

jimosity said:
[
I'd have to say that my absolute favorite module right now though is the 'Super V'. It's awesome. I'm trying to raise some funds for an Egnater VX, which I suspect will quickly become my next favorite since it's similar, but better than the Super V.

I love my SuperV because it sounds so different from everything else.

Did you score the Dual Vx from eBay just now? :evil:

Juggernaut said:
FREAKING AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!

Yes it is!

I used to have TWO RM4?s, but that was a more complicated setup and I tend to use only 3 or 4 modules 80% of the time anyway so I simplified things nicely by downsizing to just the one RM4. It?s nice to have the others whenever I want them.

My current set-up?

Guitar to BB pedal to Boss M50 multi-effects to the Switchbone and then one cable from the Switchbone to the Lynchbox input and one to the RM4 input. I run a cable from the RM4 Post Loop Out to the parallel IN of the Lynchbox. The master on the RM4 and the effects control on the Lynchbox both work as master volumes for the RM4.

Use the Lynchbox footswitch to select Lynchbox loaded modules, the RM4 footswitch to select the RM4 loaded modules--and the Switchbone to switch between RM4 and Lynchbox loaded module sets.

You can't use the serial loop and will have to use effects up front--which works fine for me.

The Tonebone Switchbone, to the best of my knowledge, is the most high end A/B box out there. I bought mine used but like new off eBay and so saved about $60 off the price of a new one. It has class A circuitry, a ground loop and polarity switch, a gain boost, and mid boost that can also be switched to mute and controlled by footswitch. It?s built like a tank and it doesn?t buzz like most other A/B boxes because of the loop and polarity switches. It?s a pretty simple set up that works really well and does not require all the menu surfing and programming of midi controllers.

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm

Another option is the Egnater 2 mod expander:

namm2008-10.jpg

Right now I've got 9 Egnater modules: single B'MAN, T/D, COD, VX, SL, SL2, E-RECT, MHG, EG3/4

And in the past I've owned the following Randall modules, all of which were modded in one way or another (cap/resistor swaps): Blackface, DLX, Top Boost, Clean, JTM, Plexi, SL+, Recto, Ultra, Ultra Lead, XTC, Modern, Brown

My favorites are the folloiwng:
- Egnater T/D: great combination of crystal-clean on the Twin side with a warmer, thicker voicing on the Deluxe side
- Egnater VX: chimes like a real vox... what more can I say?
- Egnater EG3/4: my go-to module for solos... fat, warm, mid-heavy, plenty of gain on tap
- Randall Ultra Lead: was my go-to module for solos back in the day for the same reasons that I like the EG3/4
- Randall Brown: fat Marshall-ish rhythm tone, but not as brittle as the Plexi or SL+
- Randall XTC: great high-gain module... both edgy and smooth at the same time

Least favorites:
- Egnater MHG: sounds killer on its own, but always seems to disappear in the mix at band practice :(
- Randall Clean: too sterile for my tastes
- Randall Modern: nothing really distinctive about the tone of this one, just wasn't my style
- Randall Ultra: again, perhaps wasn't my style... just felt like too much gain, not enough dynamics (nothing should feedback with the gain at 9:00)

--B