So what module sounds closest to the KH-3 and is....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shred-o-holic

Reaction score
.........a little less stiff/dry? I guess I've been playing my ENGL a little too long....... :lol: ......I have recreated blisters on my fretting had from all the milking with the KH-3. You would figure after 27 years of playing I wouldn't have this problem.... :lol:

I like the heaviness of the KH-3.......I just find it a bit unforgiving compared to the Fireball...duh I guess.... :lol: :lol:

I'd go with the Ultra XL; I just bought crankyray's kh3 and really diggin' it; but if you want to go to the next level of crazy gain, i think you'd like the XL. I've never played a fireball, but had a 5150 for 15 years, and didn't have to milk s**t with that bad boy, and the XL is pretty darn close. You can play entire leads with only one hand

How about running some delay and slight chorus to smooth out the tone and and let the tone do the work for you. I have that problem when i was using the Brown module, love the sound of it dry, but I really had to wrestle with the tone to get **** to come across. Didn't want to color the tone too much with rack gear, but I found that if you get a processor that sounds really transparent, then you would still get that bad *** RM100 growl but smoother, more efficient and less effort to get the sound across.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.. but - Would an analog delay work efficiently for high gain rhythm and leads? I'm also interested in lush clean delays - but I'm really looking for a slight delay to beef up my distorted (Ultra XL and SL+) tone. I'm trying to decide between a MXR Carbon Copy or one of the Boss DD series. Any suggestions?

dboy5150 said:
I'd go with the Ultra XL; I just bought crankyray's kh3 and really diggin' it; but if you want to go to the next level of crazy gain, i think you'd like the XL. I've never played a fireball, but had a 5150 for 15 years, and didn't have to milk s**t with that bad boy, and the XL is pretty darn close. You can play entire leads with only one hand

Tried the XL this weekend......hated the fuzziness.......gain seemed like it was on 10 no matter where I dialed it at...overtones overly saturated.....the KH-3 has way better/clearer tone....I like it better......but the Pete modded Recto i just acquired has the feel and wicked tone....if I don't sell the KH-3 I may just send it to Pete to mod....it really needs some minor enhancements to be a great module..

tung said:
How about running some delay and slight chorus to smooth out the tone and and let the tone do the work for you. I have that problem when i was using the Brown module, love the sound of it dry, but I really had to wrestle with the tone to get s*&t to come across. Didn't want to color the tone too much with rack gear, but I found that if you get a processor that sounds really transparent, then you would still get that bad *** RM100 growl but smoother, more efficient and less effort to get the sound across.

I have a G-major already.....but I don't like effects.....just use a slight reverb...it helps a little..

I really like the XL, don't find it fizzy, well, my treble is on like 3, its a bright module, but dialed back I hear no fizz. It can get liquidy, but it is probally more forgiving, and very easy to play on. one of my favorites

I had the KH2, and loved it, but also thought it was just a tad stiff.

audioholic said:
I really like the XL, don't find it fizzy, well, my treble is on like 3, its a bright module, but dialed back I hear no fizz. It can get liquidy, but it is probally more forgiving, and very easy to play on. one of my favorites

I had the KH2, and loved it, but also thought it was just a tad stiff.

I don't know........I tried every setting known to man.......I use Duncan Blackouts and EMG's so maybe it's too much output......all I know is the module didn't work for what I like which is clarity.........the feel was good though..... :oops: :? :lol:

Gotcha

I am sure our setups and guitars are different. I am using a PRS which the pickups can be bright at times. I have a modded SL+, and the Ultra XL comes pretty close to that, sometimes prefer the XL. I also have a modded topboost, much prefer the modded versions, but am quite happy with the ultra XL stock with only tube swap

wonder if a 1086 would suite you better.

Yes the PRS passive pickups if you're going stock have alot less output than these actives I'm using.....not saying that's a bad thing....just a completely different animal.......I wouldn't mind trying a 1086....but honestly after playing this KH-3 for a couple of weeks.....it has grown on me....I do like it's clarity....I think it has the potential to be something cool.......I may even try some different preamp tubes.......has anyone tried anything but the stock tubes?

pete modded 1086

hands down nothing like it.

i still want a pete modded ultra xl, and an EG5 though..just so i have a few different flavors.

paintkilz said:
pete modded 1086

hands down nothing like it.

i still want a pete modded ultra xl, and an EG5 though..just so i have a few different flavors.

I know man.....we talked about your recordings on HC.....sound great.....I'm pretty sure it kills....Pete seems to inject serious win into these modules... 8)

Rellik,

I have a POD X3 and I really wish I hadn't given away my Boss DD delay pedal. I have no experience with the MXR stuff.

The Ultra XL definitely sounds less fizzy with passive pickups, even with moderate output (e.g. SD Custom). The KH3 with gain at 3oclock nails the lead feel for my style tho, but hey, that's my style. I'll be selling my XL after JadedFaith gets done jamming with it.

Interesting, I thought the KH3 was way too forgiving and over the top in the gain dept. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually preferred the KH2 for rhythm and leads.

That said, you might look for an Eggy EG4 or EG5 single channel mod.

guitarslinger said:
Interesting, I thought the KH3 was way too forgiving and over the top in the gain dept. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually preferred the KH2 for rhythm and leads.

That said, you might look for an Eggy EG4 or EG5 single channel mod.

I'm not going to agree with you there......the module has alot of gain...but it's a dryer variety....not dry as say a VHT.......but somewhat dry nonetheless....I'm not the only one on here who is saying that......

After rehearsing for the first time tonight with my new KH3, I've got to agree with Shred. I thought after playing the KH3 for a week in my studio that it would do the trick, but at volume with the band it's missing something. It's hard to describe but it's just not "wet" enough for my taste. In two months I've been thru a Grail, Ultra XL and KH3. Something between the XL and the KH3 would be sweet.

Maybe an SL+ with the Pete 800 mod?

I'm diggin' the RM100 but still missing my old 5150 lead channel.

The search for the perfect lead mod continues...

dboy5150 said:
After rehearsing for the first time tonight with my new KH3, I've got to agree with Shred. I thought after playing the KH3 for a week in my studio that it would do the trick, but at volume with the band it's missing something. It's hard to describe but it's just not "wet" enough for my taste. In two months I've been thru a Grail, Ultra XL and KH3. Something between the XL and the KH3 would be sweet.

You have mirrored my exact thought......it's "missing" something......I'm real curious to see how Pete does with the one he was just sent to mod.....if he can add a little bit of wetness....that could be the ticket..........yeah and a KH-3 with Ultra XL feel would be incredible.... 8)