solid state amp?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northwood

Reaction score
I need to downsize the weight that Im humping around
is there any SS power amp that wont make me sick?
any input is appreciated
thnx
jack

Look for one that uses mosfets. They behave the most like tubes.
I'd like to try a .44 Magnum from Electroharmonix. or even the 22 caliber.
www.ehx.com
They might be surprising.

kc2eeb said:
Look for one that uses mosfets. They behave the most like tubes.
I'd like to try a .44 Magnum from Electroharmonix. or even the 22 caliber.
www.ehx.com
They might be surprising.
I agree those seem too cool. Mosfets are the lightest Ive seen. Dont sound terrible but too good either.
Just buy a RM20!!!! :D

The only SS poweramp I haven't heard terrible things about is the Rocktron Velocity.

Maybe find a lighter/smaller poweramp? The Mesa 2:50 is 23lb, I can only imagine the older 50/50 is about the same.

I worked in the music business in NYC in the '60s and '70s. I met Mike Matthews when I worked
at Silver and Horland at 46 Warren Street. I still have an original LPB-1.
Great memories.
I think Mike would make something that, at least, sounds good.
Gotta go try one.

I am thinking the same thing about the EHX "poweramps". What I like most about them is that as you turn up the volume/gain it starts to overdrive/distort like a tube would when cranking it. I need to try one.

I 2nd the vote for the Rocktron Velocity poweramps (at least the 300). It is 1U & lighter than any tube poweramp I have had previously.

I've heard good things about the Peavey and Crown SS power amps. If you're going to be miking the amp anyway, the EH .44 should be good enough. Depends if you want distorted power or clean power. The Peavey and Crown will give you clean power. I personally like clean power. I don't like distorted power. Then I'm really mostly a keyboard player so don't listen to me.

I think Carvin power amps sound great. I've used this power amp with an Ampeg SVT bass preamp and to power small monitors. It's a great sounding amp and very light.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=DCM200L

Good luck!

Mike P said:
I think Carvin power amps sound great. I've used this power amp with an Ampeg SVT bass preamp and to power small monitors. It's a great sounding amp and very light.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=DCM200L

Good luck!
Man I love Carvin stuff. I've used DCM1000s before and they really are great. I've been eyeballing that particular unit for a while. It's 4 lbs., 1RU, doesn't use a noisy fan, and made in the USA. And, clicking on the link, it's on sale!!! :eek:

the two best SS's for guitar IMO are the ADA Microtube, and the Tube Works Mosfets, I currently have an ADA Microtube 200 that is more than loud enough for my live rig and sounds **** good, doesn't add that tube breakup when cranked, but a nice punchy clean that makes your dirt mods sound nice and clear in loud settings, always have people after shows asking about my tone. both can be had for a few hundred or less. and are about less then half as heavy as an RM4

I used a Crate Powerblock for awhile when I first got a RM4, before I could afford a tube poweramp. The tone was not bad at all.

Stillgar said:
I used a Crate Powerblock for awhile when I first got a RM4, before I could afford a tube poweramp. The tone was not bad at all.
I just picked up one of these on Craig's List a few months ago for $50; like new, with the carrying case (you'd normally be expected to pay $120 to $150 for one of these)! I figure I could always throw it in my gear bag as a really portable spare/backup power amp for gigs . . . :)