Tube power amp for synergy syn-1

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to beat Fryette's designs. The main thing for me about about SYN50/50 is the stereo ability. I sort of got into stereo stuff some ttime back and it seems to be the cool thing for me. Wet/Dry can be cool too. I love the delays having different times each side and the wide spread image. But yeah apartments are a pain, seems like the Power Station stuff is the way to go. I always have a hard time getting the phones to sound right and which ones to use. I really like my Waza Air cans for late night practice but nothing beats that huge moving air sound but if you can't you can't.

Hard to beat Fryette's designs. The main thing for me about about SYN50/50 is the stereo ability. I sort of got into stereo stuff some ttime back and it seems to be the cool thing for me. Wet/Dry can be cool too. I love the delays having different times each side and the wide spread image. But yeah apartments are a pain, seems like the Power Station stuff is the way to go. I always have a hard time getting the phones to sound right and which ones to use. I really like my Waza Air cans for late night practice but nothing beats that huge moving air sound but if you can't you can't.
Cool thing about the Fryette PS2 is that you can plug the syn1 into it and then plug the power amp output into the PS2's own reactive load. That way you can feed an actual preamp+power amp signal into a cab sim.

Well I came across the torpedo cab m+ and I asked synergy if I can plug the syn-1 directly into it and they answered yes. The cool thing about the torpedo cab m+ is that it fits on my pedalboard, the downside is that it’s a little pricy. Now I have to save money for this and a good pair of headphones. I’d like to thanks everyone for the input

Well I came across the torpedo cab m+ and I asked synergy if I can plug the syn-1 directly into it and they answered yes. The cool thing about the torpedo cab m+ is that it fits on my pedalboard, the downside is that it’s a little pricy. Now I have to save money for this and a good pair of headphones. I’d like to thanks everyone for the input
I have a cab m+ and I like it. It has power amp emulation which is helpful when using only a preamp with it.

Great, can you do your own settings for the power amps (6L6, el34, kt88,…) ? And can you push them/cook them so you feel the sponginess of the tube (sagging) ?

I have a cab m+ and I like it. It has power amp emulation which is helpful when using only a preamp with it.
So I cannot confirm or deny the existence of next gen IR software from TwoNotes where power amp emulation is a thing. A really cool thing that y'all should check out if and when it is released.

I've been looking at the Synergy 50/50 or Fryette PS100 ... Also the BOSS Tube Amp Expander looks like it might be a good fit. Does load box, attenuation, IRs and FX onboard... Reamping... is rack mountable...

Solid State power amp but I'm not prejudiced. As long as it sounds good and has the features that I'm looking for, I don't care what's inside.

So I cannot confirm or deny the existence of next gen IR software from TwoNotes where power amp emulation is a thing. A really cool thing that y'all should check out if and when it is released.
The power amp emulation is not part of the IR, it is included as an option in both in the cab m+ hardware and the Wall Of Sound plugin (Torpedo Wall of Sound plug-in - Two notes Audio). Other options are pre-amp emulation, EQ, and some other stuff.

I had the Fryette PS2 and honestly it didn't work for me. It is a little more hi-fi than I liked. It lacks the midrange bark that some of the high gain modules needed. Not to knock it well made piece of gear and with certain modules like the Deliverance, Vai, Savage will be great for it. But for Fryette, Bogner XTC, Soldano I prefer a more mid-forward amp.

I use my Syn-1 into my Fryette Power Station into an Orange PPC 4x12 at rehearal it absolutely owns. I also use it at home into my Two Notes Cab pedal with power amp sims and it sounds amazing. My Uber module is the beez kneez \m/

I use a VHT 2150 Classic from the late 80’s or early 90’s that I’ve had since new. Not a better power amp on the market still. I have the Egnater M4 preamp (original Bruce made) and it’s an amazing setup all into a pair of Mesa 4x12’s with vintage 30’s. I must have 40 modules from Egnater, Jaded Faith, Salvation and a few others. Gotta love the MTS design.

The power amp emulation is not part of the IR, it is included as an option in both in the cab m+ hardware and the Wall Of Sound plugin (Torpedo Wall of Sound plug-in - Two notes Audio). Other options are pre-amp emulation, EQ, and some other stuff.

Correct. Power amp modeling is a separate module within Wall of Sound, not part of the IR. ...and without telling tales out of school, TwoNotes is working on some cool news stuff in this dept.

I thought power amps were designed to be more flat response and not have mid bumps. Is that just the tube effect. I had not noticed anything on my SYN50/50 just seems to kick major a$s love that amp.

I thought power amps were designed to be more flat response and not have mid bumps. Is that just the tube effect. I had not noticed anything on my SYN50/50 just seems to kick major a$s love that amp.

Power amps can be (and are) brighter, darker, more mid forward, whatever.

I have a SYN50/50 as well and am quite happy with it. My understanding is it was designed to be fairly neutral to be paired with Synergy preamp modules, the idea being you want the power amp to allow the pre amp modules shine. I believe the Fryette LXII, a predecessor to the SYN50/50, was designed with modelers in mind, so also neutral. The amp in the PS-2 is also intended to be neutral to honor the sound of the amp being "attenuated".

I've only had the SYN50/50 as an all tube power amp but have used several other power amps like ART, Rocktron, Crown, and some others I can't remember. All were spec'd to be flat response as it is the preamp circuitry of the amp that creates the voicing and gain structure for guitars. That is the whole idea behind Synergy the amp's designers rendering of famous amp preamps into a power amp. There might be slight differences in the power tube types but not all that much one can actually hear between 6L6 and EL34s. To me the 6L6 have more low end punch and they are bigger bottle tubes, more robust thicker clean tones for my opinion. I like Fryette choose them for the SYN50/50 over the EL34. He must have judged they sounder better and fit the Synergy diversity the best. They guy has invented and modified some really cool stuff in the amp field. The SYN50/50 is inventive genius in a single rack space with custom flat laying transformers and whatnot. And I might add one heavy rascal I had to get some extra hands to install it in the rack, weighs a ton.

Understand all amps are basically flat (if designed to be that way) on a test bench load. When connected to a speaker, most solid state amps are still basically flat. Tubes amps, by nature of having an output transformer, are anything but flat and follow the impedance curve of the speaker. This accounts for why tube amps can sound so different than solidstate.