Some tone advice please from all...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlagdog

Reaction score
I'm totally bored again with my tone. I have been using a Line6 Vetta HD for the past 2 years and I am thinking of just starting over again. I go through these phases about every year now. I've been loving some of the tones from Jim on the soundclips page and am leaning towards Randall. I live in vegas and there are no Randall dealers so I just have to go by clips(I need to open a store here). I was leaning towards a Mesa Triple Recto Head just because everyone uses it, or a Rivera Knucklehead. I'm just looking for a tight huge gain and I like the XTC clip and the Recto clip. I also play in a blues band and I use a SRV tone for that. The Vetta actually does a good job there. The TWEED model in the MTS interests me but there aren't any good clips of it to tell for SRV.
Well that's my story.

Sounds like you want a versatile amp. The Randall or Egnater modular amps would work well for you. Depending on which modules you choose you can cover the whole gamut from wicked high gain to super clean. I've never been a big fan of the rectifiers so I can't speak to comparison there, but I'm as happy now (and for a long time) with my amp as I have ever been.

good luck!

Thanks man.
Hey - I've got a Vetta HD as well and the RM4 fulfills a lot of what I usually miss with the Vetta tones.
While it's not got the effects and tweaks that the Vetta does, it will give you a great tube tone that the Vetta can't.

First, is there an amp you don't own? I'm so jealous, I like the clean tones from the Vetta and like the SRV tone I get but running overdrive in front or even the vetta overdrives usually doesn't sound that great. How is the Tweed model on the Randall? I talked to Chris Duarte when he was here and he just told me to go on stage and gave me a big tour of his equipment. He was a **** nice guy spent like 20 minutes showing me his stuff. He has a couple Randalls that he uses the Bassman mod in. He had a cool 1x15 amp with it in it the he said Randall custom made for him also. On the tube tones, I just dont seem to get all the hair of a tube amp that I want. Also, how do you like the Langner? I used to own one back in the day cause I talked to that guy through ADA or something. I hope it isn't the GREATEST, I traded it for some 4x12's or something cause I knew nothing about what I wanted then. You will also love this, I also had Bogner mod it when he was in Make'n Music in cali. So I pretty much traded a gem away for dogcrap. What an idiot I was!

Schlagdog,
I am a big tone hound and I can say Ive owned alot and I really enjoy my RM4 and Rt2/50. Im in Austin and the SRV thing is is all-around. I think to nail it, you have to do what he did exactly (drop tuning to e flat, use 12 gauage strings, TS-808 and the whole deal.)
I am not into him that much, so I dont bother. But I am so happy with my Rm4 (except the weight!!!) that I recomend you put it at the top of your "amps to try" list.
It deserves it. -GtrGeorge

Schlagdog,
I'm very familiar with Chris Duarte's rig, been a fan of him since "Texas Sugar" came out. Here's the thing about SRV tone:
All these guys, SRV and Duarte, are always running at least 2 amps at the same time to get that full frequency and all the controls over the gain stage.
As far as the MTS stuff, it depends on what modules you use and what overdrive pedal you run in front of it. I have the original TS-808, but I prefer to run an Xotic AC Booster in front of a Deluxe module.
The DEluxe is known for more twang, for a country type sound. But I put in Tung Sol and it sounds much tighter. With the AC being a true bypass pedal, I can tweaked that SRV slightly overdriven tone and still get that Strat bite from the Deluxe, even when I'm using a Les Paul.
Hope this helps
Tung

Schlagg,
If you can manage it...do give a listen to a Peavey Delta Blues amp with a 15" in it. Its a smallish combo that a friend of mine (who is an honest guy..and a very prominent guy in Fender,Gibson,Peavey etc) swears SRV played thru on a number of studio sessions.
I have played one and certainly found it a good amp..but I wasnt trying to nail the SRV thing.
And of course, the RM4 is nice...but you have to decide for yourself what sounds best.

Not to be one to run myself outta town on the boards here, but if you're really looking for the be-all-end-all, get the Egnater M4.
For your high gain tones, check out the ERECT module; for all the other tones you're looking for, check out their website to see what fits your needs best.

While I think the Randall MTS gear is the best thing since sliced bread, the Egnater equivalent is like sliced bread being served to you in bed by a large breasted woman with no morals.

jimosity said:
Not to be one to run myself outta town on the boards here, but if you're really looking for the be-all-end-all, get the Egnater M4.
For your high gain tones, check out the ERECT module; for all the other tones you're looking for, check out their website to see what fits your needs best.

While I think the Randall MTS gear is the best thing since sliced bread, the Egnater equivalent is like sliced bread being served to you in bed by a large breasted woman with no morals.
:shock:

jimosity said:

Can I get an AMEN! :!:

jimosity said:

:shock: :D

yes..I would love to have a slice...of that bread...but I suspect that is REALLY expensive bread..and the the RM4 was nearly outta my reach.
But if I find a bag of money...

It's not cheap, but it sure is worth it.
I bet I've had four dozen heads over the last few years and an unspeakable number of preamps...I was continually on the hunt for the grail...
The Egnater M4 is it.

Don't you have a kidney or something you can sell to get one?