Speaker Suggestions?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillTone

Reaction score
Hi All:

I have a 1x12 thiele cabinet with an EVM12L. Unfortunately, the speaker just died.

Looking for suggestions for a less expensive replacement. I need something that is at least 100 watts.

Someone has suggested the Celestion K-100. I am also considering the Eminence Swamp Thang.

I play in classic rock cover band (everything from Pink Floyd to Metallica) and would use this speaker for that.

Thanks,
Ron

I'm thinking of trying the Fryette P50E made by Eminence. They're the same speakers used in the Fatbottom cabs.

SacredGroove said:
I've heard great things about the Eminence SuperV.

I have a Super V and had a K100. I like the Super V better. It sounds smoother, touch meaner, and less harsh to my ears.

Reviving an old thread.

Scumback makes their speaker styles in 100w, so you can get 55 or 75hz cone with M or H magnet. Great Celestion sounds. Have had a few myself. Excellent! about $180

I saw some demos on the Jensen Blackbird Alnico, impressive. 100w handles distortion well, and still that "Alnico thing" with the clean tones. Wanna try that myself. About $250

Good luck!

Celestion G12 Century 12In Speaker - 80Watts - 8 Ohms
Very cool speaker with a wide range of overtones. Neodymium magnet reduces the weight of the speaker significantly. 80 watts should take care of business without much worry about blowing the voice coil. It has good sensitivity@102db so you don't need to drive it as hard to get a loud enough sound out of it. That leaves some headroom for your power tubes. If you are running a 100 watt head full volume for a whole gig you need a bigger cab. PEACE.

I have some pretty good deals on NOS EV's, some G12-75's and a G12-K85 (the K100, but under the K85 name...same exact speaker). Let me know if anyone's interested.