TOP BOOST Module, should I get ...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 Mile Stone

Reaction score
Old one (silver face) or new one (black stripe)?????

I was thinking about picking one up because I will be in the studio finally finishing the 3 Mile Stone release for the next 2 months. I have Fender, Marshall and Egnater sounds covered well. Need a Vox for some added colors.

So, what are the tonal and gain structure differences in the two?

Did you go ahead and buy that silverface Top Boost off of Ebay? I was eyeing that one as well. :)

I dunno for sure about silverface vs. blackstripe....I would guess that if you did the R1 resistor swap on one of the older modules it would be the same?

BTW, that module had already sold via BIN when I posted before. I thought maybe you were the winning buyer. Guess not. :(

Top Boost modules seem to be in really short supply in the used market. People must like'em and not want to sell them!

if you're recording, I don't think it really makes that much of a difference of silver face vs black stripe.

But if you're using it live, I'd go for the silver face. From my experience, the silver face modules seem to run quite a bit hotter than the black stripe modules (unless you like running your module level at 5 o' clock).

Tommy,

I don't have any experience with either version, but it seems every new module from Randall is backordered.I've been waiting 6 weeks for my Ultra Lead, and the Brown was a 3 week wait.
I'm not knocking Randall, I hear they've moved the mfg facility and things are a bit backed up.

If you need it now the silver face may be the way to go .

H