Trouble with my RM4 please help!!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stm113

Reaction score
Last night at practice my RM4 got funky with me and I am worried, we have gigs opening for nationals coming up and I am afraid it may continue being weird.

Here's a quick rundown of my gear:
Guitar->Wah->Boss GT Pro->RM4->GT Pro->MXR 10 band eq->5150 head (for power only)

I connect the GT Pro and The RM4 via the 4 cable method which allows me to run f/x from the Boss both before pre and post on the pre amp. This also allows me to bypass the RM4 if I wish which I do for my cleans and just use a preamp from the Boss.

At practice in the beginning of a song my volume dropped down so low that I could only hear it with my ear right next to the grill. The 1st thing I thought was maybe I lost a tube in one of the modules so I switched to a different module, same thing. I then switched to my clean preset, which bypassed the RM4 and SOUND. I then powered down the RM4 and ran direct into the head for a couple of songs then switched back to the RM4 and powered up and it was fine.

Looking back (and I cant be completely sure on this) it seemed that my volume was going up and down in slight variations all practice before that.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I may be experiencing? and how to fix this?

One of the preamp tubes in the RM4 itself is going out or you have a loose/dirty connection into one of the RM4 in/outs.

stm113 said:
I was thinking that it could be a tube in the pre amp any suggestions on what tubes to throw in it?
Tung Sol works great in there :)

Otherwise EHX is cool too (but if you use super high gain it can get fuzz-ish).

Be sure to check your cables as well, clean out the jacks.
Many people have had this exact problem where a dirty jack turned out to be the culprit!

so why would lose cables or dirty jacks cause that like in the middle of a song? i should have mentioned that the rack was not sitting on the cab it was about 4 or so feet from it and we were running through a PA so the stage volume was low

I have a similar problem in which the volume cuts out to very low levels. This happens after about 30 minutes of playing. I then work the module master volume and it comes back. I believe my issue is the the master volume on the RM4. It might be a bad pot.