Tube recommendations for 1086A module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
Bought this and I'm really not digging it at all..anyone got a recomendation on changing pre-amp tubes?

It's a few hours old and I'm thinking of selling already...never a good sign :-(

You guys crack me up ! No one offers any advice on tubes, you're just waiting for the moment to pounce on the module....LOL

JKD- What is it you don't like about the mod ? too dark, lifeless, or what ? What other mod does is sound similar to ?
Just curious .

Howard

seeker said:
You guys crack me up ! No one offers any advice on tubes, you're just waiting for the moment to pounce on the module....LOL

JKD- What is it you don't like about the mod ? too dark, lifeless, or what ? What other mod does is sound similar to ?
Just curious .

Howard

We're a dangerous bunch here, Howard! Could have been worse though...

"Steve, I've heard they sound awful no matter what tubes you run. I'll give you a stick of gum and a rock for it." :D

What Howard said though. I just wanted to get my intentions regarding the module if Steve sells just in case.

Pete

seeker said:

Just curious .

Howard

#1 It sounds kind of thin to me and the gain/distortion is just 'OK', nothing to write home about

#2 Gets really harsh/brittle (like a Marshall DSL/TSL does) when you use the mid-cut switch...couldn't find a single sound I liked in that voicing.

I'm guessing it's based around a Marshall type module with a few voicing tweaks.

If you don't mind losing a little gain, a 5751 would help fatten it up. I'm surprised that they can even make a module that has too much high end, because to my ears the RM100 is a fairly dark amp. Have you tried any of the tung-sol reissue 12ax7's? Heard nothing but raves about them.

Pete

JKD,

I have found that if I don't like the sound of module ( like the E'Rect I had) I have two choices- either modify it, or lose it. Preamp tubes ( in my opinion ) will make subtle improvements or changes to the tone , but not change the sound drastically. If you like the amount/type of gain, you could EQ it, and/or punch it up with a pedal.
I have modules that are thin as well, but with my PRS ( which is very dark and mid/bass sounding in the neck position ) it sounds great, switch to a single coil maple neck- maple body guitar and it really is too bright and thin.

Howard

okstrat said:
If you sell it, I want dibs! ;0

I'm either interested in selling it outright ($200)...or trade for Modern+XTC modules+$25..or I could trade it against the mod you're going to do on the SL+ for me???? :D

Definately going to try the 5751 first though..I have a couple of really nice NOS 5751s lying around....also going to try a longplate ax7..they work really well in the marshall type modules and that's what I'm hearing here.

seeker said:
JKD,

I have found that if I don't like the sound of module ( like the E'Rect I had) I have two choices- either modify it, or lose it. Preamp tubes ( in my opinion ) will make subtle improvements or changes to the tone , but not change the sound drastically.
Howard

I tend to agree with you on this one. Preamp tubes doesn't totally change the tone to my ears. I think I'm going to do a cap mod to tighten up my XTC bottom, better pick attack.
T.

i like the 1086 , its definatley one of the better mods for high gain although it is a little buzzy but you can always turn the gain down for that. i don't like the mid voice switched to the right , for me it is to scooped and the gain boost has to be on as well. my biggest thing is that i don;t think it cuts through the mix that well. and adding mids just isn't enough, it tends to make it sound thin. but really for high gain its tough to beat. i think it falls somewhere between the modern and ultra xl but with more options. i'd say its some kind of v-max , rectifier , jcm amp mixture, eh 12ax7's sound good in it. tung-sol's do as well. mine came with chinese ruby's that were nice sounding as well until they went micro on me.