two RM4's in a rack

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alboz28

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered but, I was hoping you folks would share some info as I need some help with this. I would like to run two RM4's together with a GMAjor2 and a Mesa 2:90 power amp.

I already have the single RM4 rig working with a Ground Control Pro Floorboard Controller - but would just like to add the additional RM4. As far as the rear panel connections I am confused on how to connect the RM's together ...ex. should I use the loops etc...

Any help would be greatly apreciated - Thanks

You will need either need a looper like the GCX or a device to split your guitar signal like a Lehle P-Split. Two different devices for 2 different functions. If you want to run both RM4's simultaneously you would use a splitter. You would not be able to use the GMaj with both units this way.

The GCX would allow you to switch between the 2 RM4's and you could use the GMaj with either unit.

Either way you would need to acquire another piece of gear to use both units.

The first question would be: how do you want to run it?
Do you want to run both RM4's simultaniously in a stereo setup? (L & R)
Or do you want to choose between them? (an 8 channel mono setup)

For a stereo setup you should split the signal like The Truth says (great name for these kinds of topics :lol:).
Then you can run the outputs of the RM4's to the left and right inputs of the G-Major, and the outputs of the G-Major to the inputs of the poweramp.

For an 8 channel mono setup you'll need a loop switcher. That way you can put the RM4s each in a seperate loop, so you can switch between them.

m0jo said:
run the outputs of the RM4's to the left and right inputs of the G-Major, and the outputs of the G-Major to the inputs of the poweramp.

Ah yes, this would totally work. I stand corrected in my above statement about not being able to use the GM2 with both units simultaneously. Never even crossed my mind to try it that way.

I can say from personal experience running 2 preamps stereo is simply glorious. Mixing EG5 with a modded Treadplate was some of the best tone I have heard to date.

I have 2 RM4s ,a Boss GX700 processor and a Mesa 20/20.
The way I overcame this problem, and I dont know if its the best way and there are alot of limitations doing it this way but it definately works for me, was I had a Tonebone Headswitcher lying around from when I used to run two heads.This is how I hooked it up.
I took a lead from Rm4(1) input and fed it too Amp-1 input on the Tonebone, then a lead from Rm4(2) input and fed it too Amp-2 input on the Tonebone,then I took a lead form Rm4(1) Pre Loop out and fed it to Amp-1 output on the Tonebone,then I took a lead from Rm4(2) Pre Loop out and fed it too Amp-2 Output on the Tonebone.
OK if you can follow that this was the easy part I then ran a lead from the output on the Tonebone that says "to Speaker Cab" and ran it too the input of the Boss GX700 and then ran the left and right outputs to the left and right inputs of the Mesa 20/20.The Tonebone has an output for a remote switch so I have an A/B pedal to switch between the two Rm4s
I emailed Tonebone about this setup before I tryed it and they said its fine to use the Headswitcher in this way.Like I said it works for me and I just utilized what I had around and I do have a lot of limitations in utilising different effects on one of the Rm4s but I only use different amounts of delay and Reverb anyway.
There are definately better ways to do it but I still get some awesome tones out of it all anyway.
Hope this helps and doesnt just confuse you.

If running true stereo maybe an A/B/Y amp switching pedal. Guitar to pedal (set to Y/combine both RM4s) to the inputs of the RM4s Then the outs to the GMaj ins & the outs of that to the inputs of the 20/20.
The only question I would have with this is since you would be splitting the signal from the guitar, would a boost be beneficial to get some gain back to hit the front of the amp. :?:

alboz28,

PM me with your email address and I'll email you a pdf of the wiring of my rig - I use an IE-4, RM4 and Mesa Mark IV preamps with a G-Major, all controlled by a GCX unit and Ground Control Pedal.

Latest posts