Ty Tabor's Egnater modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6stringgrind

Reaction score
Jeff from Egnater talks about the modules he made for Ty. As he states in the thread, there are no definite plans to make these available to the public at this time. Here's the link:

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30097

I REALLY want that Gretchen module!

I think me and my bass player are going to road trip to Houston to see Kings X and Extreme. Be a hell of a show.

****.. I hope those make it to production!

I'll be in Houston for the August show!

King's X is my fav band. Do I need an Egnater for these or will they be single channel for Randall MTS people?

Sad thing is I'd probably blow the cash on an Egnater just for Gretchen.

fwiw....I really like Tys work as well..and ya know what? You can very close to his sound just by useing a TopBoost module. Those are already in production, and If you use the right pickups into one..you are about %90 there. This is the sound on "Alone" and other recent material.
I think for Gretchen"...you need an Elite and and L5 and a whole host of gear that is hard/impossible to find. PS: even Ty doesnt use that rig anymore.
Im not trying to be a wet blanket Im just saying the Top Boost sounds awesome..and Im pretty certain thats what he was using just prior to all this egnater talk.
Try one...use it with a RT2/50 power amp and some good speakers, and you'll be smiling for days.
-GtrGeorge

Tys using some new custom wound Motor City pups that Wade wound up for him and went nuts over,I absolutely went nuts over his pups too!!!! :D

I spent over a year with a Lab 5, Fender elite pre amp, speakers and the albums. I can tell you since I did the module it is not even close to a Top Boost. If you can cop the tone with it great. But what Ty hears is the old tone. It's all subjective and this is why we tend to not want to mass produce custom stuff. You may not feel its his tone, fine. But Ty says it is and that is all that matters. It is the closest thing to his old gretchen set up that he has ever used. 98% were his words! Now with his custom Motor City pickups with a coil tap in the bridge and our Lamarra guitar he is playing, he and the band are extremely excited!

hilly,
I am not an expert on Ty...but let me say this: I was saying that the TopBoost does a fine job of getting the sound of his more recent work. Not the Gretchen sound, the sound on "Alone" and other ,newer stuff.
If I remember correctly he states somewhere that he has used the Top Boost module. It seems he has moved on.
..but hey like I said..its all good. I am not trying to get into a competition regarding his tone. I think alot of tone comes from a persons hands, and musical perspective, anyway.
But I am quite please to get very close his sound with a TopBoost. Sure as hell beats alot of gear thats out there!!!!

Hey guys...not to get off the MTS path, but I used to get a really similar tone to the older Kings X stuff with a Lab Series L11 head and a DOD bifet preamp into 2 25w greenbacks....it sounded great till the head (rated at 200w!) fried the celestions!!
The old Labs were the ONLY solid state amp that could ever rival a Marshall tone probably because of the Moog technology and the built in compressor...just ask Ronnie Montrose or Rusty Burns (Point Blank)...probably guys all you metal heads have never heard of!!
For now....yeah, can't wait to hear the Gretchen...but I am really happy with all my Randall stuff!
Oh yeah...fyi, I still have TWO L11 heads w/consecutive serial numbers if anyone is interested!!
Butch/Indy

GtrGeorge, yes there was an article that mentioned he used a modded Top Boost and a XTC for the Ogre Tones album in a RM20. In fact, I can get his current high gain tone with a XTC no problem. Just add chorus to it. I also have a setup on my Line6 POD X3 that gets the Cigarettes/Dogman sound using a Comford/Ectasy combo. Comford for the clean and Ectasy for the dirty and the blend them with the pedal.

But I can't touch Gretchen, so I stopped trying.