Types of wire to use in modules.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
I have been reading about the different types of wire you would use in a amp and wanted to hear what you guys think of the different wires. From what I have read some people say pvc with full copper wire is more warm sounding in a circuit compared to teflon silver wire. Also, there is alot of talk about silver with a copper core is not that good, and on and on. I think some people may be over analyzing it. Just wanted to hear what you all thought.

I can't hear any difference between cloth, ptfe, pvc, silver plated, pure copper, stranded, solid, or color. Nor can any member of my family, friends, or any neighbors that have shared their opinions. I'd bet that at least 99 out of 100 average humans wouldn't be able to consistently hear any difference in a double blind trial.

A roll of any color ptfe silver plated stranded core 20g 600v from apexjr pretty much covers all my needs. The same but solid core for those times when it needs to hold a nice bended shape.

It's not like your running wires very far. The metal leads on the components often aren't anything special.

Silver solder and wire is reputed to keep Werewolves away from your rig... :wink:

I have tried it all and I'd be lying if I told you the most expensive stuff made one bit of difference from anything else I tested in modules.

I kinda figured as much, but one comment I seen a lot os is that teflon with silver wire was more prone to "microphonics". I thought it seemed a little far stretched but then again they were talking about in a complete amp build. What do you think JF, jusr some more fairy dust?

I certainly think most of what you read on the internet is going to be based on entire amp builds like you mentioned. I tested everything out there with modules and even did 2-3' runs out of the amp to conduct as much noise as possible. Little to no differences at all. I am a big fan of actually testing things like this to observe results rather than listening to info online and whatnot.